Please read the rules. If in any doubt email iloveroyton@gmail.com

You are not logged in.

China Girl

#51 27.Feb.17 12:40:37

exile

Re: Round and about.

I think the term out door license is probably a derivation of off license. It's what my parents called them so of course so do I who knows
Anyway both names mean the same thing.

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#52 27.Feb.17 12:43:22

wizzenedone

Were the fumes which spread over Royton up to the market, when they took the flue down behind Shaw skips toxic Ridge?  They certainly smelt toxic and the flue was above the roof height of the grape. Like the wild west out there, guess it's not in the councillors view. They're all on the planning committee so they know whats going on and if it ain't deliberate, it ain't planned. So they have no get out. Either planning isn't doing i'ts job or it's deliberate policy agreed by our representatives.

Reformed motorist. Still struggling to kick the habit.

#53 27.Feb.17 14:34:32

wizzenedone

By the way had to visit the health centre this am, so off b4 9 parking almost at the door and little or no congestion so maybe I owe our councillors a bouquet. But then the health centre is in South Royton which may explain it.
The market square is in North Royton, and that's a little dilapidated boys and girls.
The newer shops Boyes and Lidl, first class, some slight concern over numbers and viability, but so far so good.
But c'mon the rest of it is really in need of some work. So it's an A to South Royton and a B to North Royton, what did they used to say Good Work but could try harder.
South Royton have public toilets in the health centre, North Royton you have to cross the road into South Royton, which is possibly increasing congestion on Rochdale Rd? Certainly keeps me fit but one has to ask who is on the ball here.
I confess I could patronise the small shops who have toilets but I don't and when I want to go I dont necessarily want to go for fish and chips..

#54 27.Feb.17 14:53:12

wizzenedone

I feel I need to explain, the car was used because I was on my way to shop in Shaw. I use Asda and Aldi, Asda being the governing factor and have a load too heavy to carry by hand.
The car was off the road and cooling down by 10:30am and will not require public road space for a week, barring emergencies or a sudden urge to eat out. There is an excellent bus service , being squeezed by lack of use and congestion from private cars. It is also free to pensioners but not early risers. The tram service which is also free to pensioners offers an excellent service for longer journeys to neighbouring towns It is accessed by a frequent bus service from most points in Royton especially along the Rochdale Road corridor which takes in Thornham.

#55 27.Feb.17 22:19:22

James Larkin

wizzenedone wrote:

But the debacle is down to planning and may be deliberate, all our councillors are members of the planning committee so should have immediate answers. But the area is simply not top of their interest or hadn't you guessed.

Factually incorrect and pig ignorant. You're not Sean Spicer are you?

#56 27.Feb.17 22:24:55

James Larkin

wizzenedone wrote:

By the way had to visit the health centre this am, so off b4 9 parking almost at the door and little or no congestion so maybe I owe our councillors a bouquet. But then the health centre is in South Royton which may explain it.
The market square is in North Royton, and that's a little dilapidated boys and girls.
The newer shops Boyes and Lidl, first class, some slight concern over numbers and viability, but so far so good.
But c'mon the rest of it is really in need of some work. So it's an A to South Royton and a B to North Royton, what did they used to say Good Work but could try harder. ..

So the market square which is Royton North is dilapidated (which its not and the shops are privately owned anyway) but Lidl and Boyes are first class and in Royton South?

I would say pop in to the opticians next time you're in the centre Wizz, but I'd hate you to stay somewhere you obviously despise any longer than you need to ?

#57 28.Feb.17 12:40:34

MikeS

It's a bit nitpicking to distinguish between North and South Royton where the toilets are concerned. You could always pop into Lidl for the toilets anyway. smile

#58 02.Mar.17 23:14:05

wizzenedone

MikeS wrote:

It's a bit nitpicking to distinguish between North and South Royton where the toilets are concerned. You could always pop into Lidl for the toilets anyway. smile

I haven't discovered the toilets in Lidl, were are they? Thats a big improvement especially if they're on the public side of the tills.

Not blind James, just a different viewpoint. Mine is on the south end of Royton North. What was in that flue they demolished in dodge city by Shaw skips? I know I had complaints from neighbours about plastic chemical smells and smoke before they took it down, and the new cowboys on the block were burning rubbish in a barrel on the footpath on netherhey lane.

#59 03.Mar.17 10:04:46

exile

Glad to hear they have toilets in your Lidl, ours doesn't but we are supposed to be having a superstore so maybe then we will.

Doesn't matter if they are on the till side or not it's not difficult to walk out of Lidl not having bought anything is it. If the local authority insist on closing public toilets it's a good thing that big stores have them, otherwise there is going to be puddles in the streets. When you got to go you got to go.

The Aldi store restricts parking to an hour and a half and for customers only, to prove you shopped you have to put your registration into a machine, no end of folks walk round the tills and put their Reg number in and leave after having shopped elsewhere. The staff are supposed to keep an eye open for this but there are so few of them and they are so busy they just can't do it all. Another example of suits in offices making rules that can't be enforced.

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#60 03.Mar.17 10:49:09

ridge walker

Pig Ignorant, careful James not acceptable.   Wizz raises many points and can be confusing, every post has terminology i dont understand yet i can find interesting sections, he goes back further into the past than many of us and brings back memories, no bad thing really.  Regards to Shaw skips for those unfamilier and are unaware it may help if they understand it more and the difficulty with this issue and planning that effects many similar cases.   The company acquired a small site off HF Lane at the side of the Grape Mill, this is behind the Vine Mill and better known,  its a narrow strip that was unkept and vacant land for use as  a base for a waste skip company, and was given consent, a single wagon a few skips and  a couple of men to start, the space was rather limited, cheap prices undercutting other providers and customers took advantage.

What no one knew was how it worked and few saw the resulting effect, waste was returned to the site and tipped inside the compound for seperation for recycling, metal wood, masonry rubble, etc, and more men worked picking the loads ( Polish) a digger was used to stack the waste coming in and more skips were stored on the site, the waste piles of no value grew higher, the compound became very muddy as it was unsurfaced, fires were used to burn sheathing off cables as it cant be sold as scrap copper wire, or other waste to keep the men warm in wet weather without shelter, very large containers arrived for the sorted materials and when full were removed by large trucks, these and other movements spread the mud onto the Lane.

Skips were left outside on the verge for repair or re- painting, overloaded skips spilled their contents everywhere but are now netted and more skip lorries arrived to the growing fleet of vehicles, and you thought it all went to landfill or some other place for disposal- out of sight and out of mind not your problem, well it is now - planners have no idea what they are consenting too, if they knew the truth would they do the same again, as it is its left to enforcement officers  to 'check' conditions, what more can they do, its too late a pr of gloves and a tidy up wont sort this out, its a blight on the district  the town in general and a disgrace on its access route between Broadway and Middleton Road, a rat run with all the conotations that brings to mind.

#61 03.Mar.17 11:16:46

wizzenedone

By the way did you notice the van completely blocking the pavement, outside the enamellers at the end of the Garden of peace and tranquility behind the St.Pauls?
They're having roof work done aat the enamellers, I guess we wait and see on that. But centre of the pavement beaten up old van, not even a white one, a dirty red with paint splodges, no cones, no pedestrian walkway laid on the road. If you lived after negotiating that you had, the great lakes at the pedestrian ramp the other side to contend with. Dodge city anyone heading this way needs a cowboy hat and spurs.

#62 03.Mar.17 11:36:42

wizzenedone

I don't think netherhey lane is a rat-run, an angel run, it was there and used long before the houses as was the geyhound, I walked down it with my kit and took a pint at the pub when I was young and fit, just the cottages on the left at the top. If you insist on that nomenclature maybe it became a rat-run when the rats gathered, personally I've given my preferred explanation, that is it is local people using their local knowledge to alleviate the suffering of others. It really is quite simple if you have 100yds of road and 100 cars 5yds long they wont fit. If your ignoring 400yds of road because you'll be called a rat does that make sense? We need either to get rid of our cars or use all of our roads and there is a query on whether the public actually need all the cul de-sacs. If they don't why are they paying for them?

#63 03.Mar.17 12:07:04

wizzenedone

Just one other matter to think about, Are you aware that Oozewood road now links up with the motorway network at stakehill? thats in addition to the outlet I used at boarshaw in middleton.

Think of were the angels are going when the use Netherhey lane and how a fully functional oozewood road could affect that.

I think the first time I encountered the term it waas used by a council officer who lived in Thornham but in respect of closing blackshaw lane that was a ratrun from moorside to Royton.

The term is political, it has a legitimate meaning but not the one you are putting it to, the term for that would be short-cut, Reaally it reminds me of a load of school kids intent on bullying, grow up.

#64 03.Mar.17 12:50:56

wizzenedone

No directions to the toilets yet so I'm withholding the +. I will have a look.
(Who the hell is Sean Spicer?)

#65 03.Mar.17 18:03:03

wizzenedone

its a B+ the toilets are on the right as you pass through the doors into the main store at Lidl. Garbage at the end of Boyes,something I hadn't noticed on the Royton South side leads to a halt at B+.
The red van was there fair and square on the pavement, no thought for pedestrians, it's the roofer. Surprisingly there were no horns or brushes with death when I was forced to walk in the road. There you are you rat-run people, motorists are not all bad I guess some of them must have used the short cut, but no abuse.

#66 04.Mar.17 11:54:26

wizzenedone

James Larkin wrote:
wizzenedone wrote:

But c'mon the rest of it is really in need of some work. So it's an A to South Royton and a B to North Royton, what did they used to say Good Work but could try harder. ..

So the market square which is Royton North is dilapidated (which its not and the shops are privately owned anyway) but Lidl and Boyes are first class and in Royton South?

I would say pop in to the opticians next time you're in the centre Wizz, but I'd hate you to stay somewhere you obviously despise any longer than you need to ?

No Boyes and Lidl are in Royton North James. Rochdale RD is the dividing line, to the east is royton south and to the west Royton North. Hope I've sorted that for you.

Why are there three councillors representing such a large and diverse community? They're are all elected on each occasion by the same minority of the electorate, wouldn't bring representation closer to the people to have smaller wards, it would also be fairer? Could you explain the reasoning behind the present system?

#67 04.Mar.17 12:48:11

wizzenedone

There was a recent article in the Sun featuring a number of your constituents James did you read it?
It concerned council tax and how residents of the most impoverished town in the land were paying higher council tax than billionaires in London.
Now thats one hell of a field to play in, but as a councillor you do set council tax in this most impoverished borough don't you?

#68 04.Mar.17 12:50:04

wizzenedone

Or were these constituents from the wrong area and saying the wrong things James?

#69 05.Mar.17 23:27:30

James Larkin

I know exactly where Royton North begins and ends. Read your post again (#54), in your attempt to have a pop at the town centre you've contradicted yourself. But I'm sure you won't see it that way.

Don't know why Royton is divided as it is in electoral wards, but I try to represent all those who live in the area, whether they vote(d) for me or not. From people who didn't vote for me through to party members who I would hope did vote for their party's representative, considering they claim to support the party. I'm sure you'd appreciate and agree with that, wouldn't you Wizz?

And no I did not, and do not, plan on reading The Sun.

#70 06.Mar.17 00:16:11

wizzenedone

You're a good lad James, its unfair that you and Bernard are the only ones who appear regularly.

From your comments on the Sun I guess you have a TU background.
Nevertheless there were concerns of some of your constituents printed, but on principle you're going to ignore them.
Those are dubious principles for a councillor lad.

#71 06.Mar.17 00:45:21

wizzenedone

It may in fact be difficult to identify the party at the moment James. Is that the party defined by the PLP and Lord Mandelson or the one led by Jeremy Corbyn. Which is it you represent James?

#72 06.Mar.17 10:48:38

James Larkin

I've just looked the article up. Not one of those constituents brought those concerns to me, and I would not have ignored them if they had. However, the issue here isn't with Oldham Council as such, it is with the system implemented by the government and the fact that Council Tax is a regressive tax, that hits the poorest disproportionately. Combine this with the fact that areas such as Oldham have greater social care needs, there is no surprise council tax bills continue to rise. There is no meat to cut. Indeed, it could be argued that we are now at the point where we are hacking at limbs to balance the budget.

Now, retract that line about my principles being dubious and we can all get along nicely  smile

#73 06.Mar.17 18:23:30

Erin

Who knows anything about Holden Fold Lane being closed from the 8th March until a date in April?  I have just seen it in ILR.  All the traffic which is using it now that Street Bridge is closed will have to go into Royton, it will cause lots of traffic congestion.  It will take forever to get through the lights at Royton.  sad

#74 06.Mar.17 21:23:25

Erin

I have discovered the road closure is to replace a gas main.  Do the united utilities talk to each other?

#75 06.Mar.17 21:28:40

ridge walker

The closure of Street Bridge extended to April 12th.    Received notice this afternoon from United Utillities they are bringing in a tower crane to replace the mobile one they have been using since January, it will arrive on Wednesday 8th March at dawn and will  take all day to set it up, its 30 metres tall and will be used for 5 months, the mobile crane was a huge thing but the tower crane is a third higher at least, and will be seen from the precinct, it will have a greater span over the work site where space is limited.  The closure of Holden Fold and i have not seen the peice on ILR, (thanks Erin) may concern the section between the Greyhound PH and Netherhey Lane, the surface is breaking up and a highways truck was parked there this morning causing an obstruction, they resurfaced a large section recently having filled in so many potholes using all the latest equipment that only lasted a week, repairs we were told would last 5 years using the blasting machine, just presuming as they only do repairs when the holes meet the criteria, if im correct it will be a mega problem, may be the demolition of the burnt out mill building, thats still standing after i was informed it was being taken down last week as machines were on the site- not true.

#76 07.Mar.17 16:21:11

ridge walker

They are tarmacking the trench today but need another week to install 2 more pipe lengths to reach the pubs car parks, they are at a point where they are making a turn, the pipe is now 2 metres below the surface, one problem they were faced with was the old street plans were inaccurate due to the many repairs and installation under the road, contractors have beefed up the backfilling of trenches with concrete against the regulations, for example the repair nr the bridge completed several years ago on a pipe line that went under the river bed was filled in with 1 metre of concrete, thats extreme and had to be removed, the most part of the route it was 300 mm thick and all was un-recorded, however this capping has been repeated and is all due to the poor ground conditions they are working in, so this information will be available when the next company wants to dig up the road.

From the Bridge over the river at Buckley Wood, the pipe will reduce to the 600 mm diameter size to allow the water pressure to carry the foul water to Foxdenton WWTW,  i'm informed this facility is 20 feet lower than Royton and thats how gravety will carry it from here to there without pump assistance and be maintenance free as its self cleaning.  Workmen have once again returned to the 'mound' and more work will start to improve the drainage and recover its exposed surface again, using a special instrument they have detected several blockages to the land drain they installed around the foot of the slope, they think its sand washed down from above thats set hard - clever people.

#77 07.Mar.17 18:52:35

Barleycorn

wizzenedone wrote:

There was a recent article in the Sun featuring a number of your constituents James did you read it?
It concerned council tax and how residents of the most impoverished town in the land were paying higher council tax than billionaires in London.
Now thats one hell of a field to play in, but as a councillor you do set council tax in this most impoverished borough don't you?

These 'facts' are highly selective, compare apples & oranges and propagate myths.   But you are citing The Sun, so perhaps its a habit that is contagious.

The 'most deprived borough'  stats applied to the very centre of Oldham - but it hardly represents "the borough" does it?  Not to deny Oldham has problems, and many here live at or below the national household averages....  and there are some pockets of extreme deprivation...

However, drive round (most of) Saddleworth, and all of the various BIG estates around Oldham like Irk Vale, Cathedral Rd, Firwood Park, Oozewood/Tandle Hills, much of High Crompton,  etc etc - hardly on the bread line.   Look at the cars on the drives, the holidays, the disposable income...   Manchester is just a microcosm of the UK.     

There are gross differences nationally - and our glorious  govt has been known to offer sweetener deals to tory councils...   think of the recent fuss in Surrey regarding a 15% care surcharge.

Inequality is the tory way - they simply don't care.   Harsh but true.   

It leads to localised issues that see councils scrabbling to divide up the crumbs are not (or should not be) the issue...   it sets Labour against Greens and Libs ...   but really, the common enemy is (or should be) the tories.   It is their fault at a macro level.   Structural unfairness and inbuilt inequity.

Sadly - all over the UK, you see the victims of this tory malice buying the Mail, the Express, the Sun etc....    belieiving the BS,  laughing at Jeremy Corbyn...  voting like Turkeys for Xmas (or not at all)  and then wondering why they and theirs are "paying higher council tax than billionaires..."

Ask the good people of Copeland in a few years how they enjoy the trek to A&E or a maternity ward...      still - THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN....   in that case, Theresa May got a 50% mandate....   of 50% turnout ....  so ( please confirm Penguin the Calculator Man)  that is yet another 'mandate' achieved with ;less than 30% of the electorate... 

Welcome back political debate !!!!  Wooooooooooohooooooooooooo ...   tongue tongue tongue

It the budget tomorrow by the way. yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes

And April next month - when the true horror of the delayed/deferred worst of the Osborne/Cameron legacy kicks in...  a bad time to be poor, ill or otherwise vulnerable.

hey ho.

Last edited by Barleycorn (07.Mar.17 18:56:41)

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#78 07.Mar.17 20:46:38

ridge walker

The Highways workmen #75 filled in the many potholes yesterday, a few were left but they may have run out or material or traffic was too busy, i also checked on the demolition of the fire damaged mill, a resident next door to the building had no news it was being demolished, he had lived nearby for 35 years but in different houses, he told me he had called police to the building many times, as used by the sofa company and the window frame supplier, his problems were with parked vans on the pavements by the tennents and blocked access from Broadway when cars were queueing to exit, its too narrow to pass, this happens when queues on Netherhey Lane are so long they try to exit from Holden Fold, if they turn right onto Broadway it adds to the convoys heading for Elk Mill further preventing traffic from Netherhey getting out of the junction, residents cant get out or into their driveways for standing traffic, wagons still try to enter from Broadway and block that as they cant get in despite the signs the lane is unsuitable, yet its preferable to Shaw Road End.

#79 10.Mar.17 09:49:40

ridge walker

Byron Street schools demolition is a over a month in and half is now rubble in the playground area, nothing is being removed from the site, whatever the method this looks poor and disorganised compared to what we have seen from other companies, my visits are unrewarding to record the progress of this work on an important building, maybe i should not do so and go back  when the sites redeveloped and forget this phase ever existed.

The tower crane is now up, two days of fine sunny weather helped, Wednesday was dissapointing as little was seen and drainage work prevented closer observation, yesterday morning the verticle column with the turntable on the top was only just above the height of the mound as it may have been located on lower ground, by mid-day it had raised as it was telescoping upwards, a cabin for the operator had appeared then an attachment added, a workman was seen inside, a huge mobile crane was assisting but nothing was seen being lifted into place, its jib was extended to the highest position so far, by 5 pm the horizontal jib had been attached  with the attachment cab was now on one end of the T, not above the column part, the other end of the jib stretches out miles over the site and nothing seems to be supporting it, when the rain stops i may get a better view now the barriers across the footpath have been removed, indicating the drainage work has been done.  There are several mobile cranes on site and they will stay.

We featured on the forum a video of tower cranes self building themselves, this system would have been used, they litterally unfold under its own power, not since the building of the wind turbines on scout moor and watching the blades being attached to the generator has anything been so exciting, however i may not be able to  cover much more now i'm in transition from daily posting to random appearances if that,  one day at a time depends how i feel.

#80 10.Mar.17 15:27:02

ridge walker

Stonework from the old baths have been positioned, the centre peice stone arrived at noon from the stone masons, non has been dressed or cleaned and are as they were removed, two steel angle plates have been bolted to the concrete base at the lower edge to prevent slippage on the sloping surface- their 12x12x 36 inches long and far to heavy for the purpose and very crude i think, the sections of the crest are missing, the state of the truck with it crane was in a right state- piled up with rubbish and old pallets inc wooden battons to rest the heavy stone on when unloaded, the stone was just placed on top of all this, could have broken in transit and displayed lack of care,  we will need to see the finished job....... after witnessing the stone being removed by Dale's lads, it was more a case of doing the best they could to get it down as safely as they could with the machine as quickly as possible.

#81 12.Mar.17 09:45:41

ridge walker

Yesterday the pipeline had just about reached the Horton Arms, the change in direction has been attained and from today repid progress will be made, they intend to be past the motorway bridge to Cinder Lane in a weeks time, to open up the road from the other side means they have to use concrete to temporary level the road surface where excavation has taken place as the tarmac repair and supply is expensive to deliver, the compound near the bridge is being cleared and new footpaths installed, they will re-tarmac when they have have enough work.

A new excavator is in use on site, one of many on this project, its tracks covered in rubber pads, its weighs 35 tons so a big machine, and can lift 7-8 tons with its arm, the pipes weigh 1.25 ton's each and hoisted using a single sling, better ground conditions will allow faster progress, however there are fiddly bits to do, machines are using Broadway to access further work on the other side of Burnley Lane, so if you see the new Murphy Dumper Truck flying around Elk Mill roundabout that's whats its doing.  Expect Street Bridge to re-open from St Mathews church to access the pub next week and closed from the Royton side, needs a clean up now and then the tarmackers will be back so expect some delays while that's done.

New drainage work adjacent to the mound of spoil has increased water flow into the fishing pond, this is to drain land behind property that was waterlogged and pools grew threatening rear gardens, it appears the new larger diameter land drain they have installed is now feeding into the older system and is running much more strongly, this is by accident as the new pipe was supposed to divert water away to another discharge point, however the water appears clear as its not coming from the mound this time that caused the sediment pollution of the fishing facility.

#82 12.Mar.17 10:22:09

Mags

There are now signs up which say residents only or words to that effect.

#83 12.Mar.17 18:03:46

ridge walker

There are Mags but regular users know their way about, its reduced slightly so has had an effect, however after placing these signs at most junctions drivers are still using Middleton Road through Haggate and proceed past the WWTW to arrive at Street Bridge before having to return, its puzzling as there not following anyone by mistake thinking theres a way through, some drivers reach Lea View and stop  at the barriers wondering which way to go next, clearly strangers and only know one route to Chadderton Hall Road, you cant assist as they spend 15 minutes asking for directions and a plan drawing how to get to Manchester.

#84 17.Mar.17 17:20:50

ridge walker

Byron Street school almost gone, just a small corner left a week after the higher rear section was leveled, 110 years after it was built, lots of material still on site  but just needs clearing, its opened up the area a great deal and reveals Runnymead Close to better effect.   

A few more bits of stonework delivered to the baths display area and awaiting assembly, weather permitting, it includes the heavy cornis stones from the parapet which explains why the brickwork was left unfinished,  this indicates more stone is being incorporated to the crest feature,  so making this all presentable by the masons will be interesting to see.

Renovation of the Stocks at St Pauls is much welcome, the area was very neglected and overgrown, thanks to the members of the Historical society, new timbers and clean stonework dated 1777, not on the original site of Jubilee Gardens and not very prominant but this may draw more attention from visitors of all ages.  This is a civic monument not a church one and deserves a civic location, there must be a connection between punishment, the justice system and the church,  so can anyone explain what that is ?

Update on the pipeline progress this weekend,  however its pointless if no ones interested in hearing about these things i wont continue with it,  talking to myself here.

#85 18.Mar.17 15:11:45

chatterbox

I'm listening Ridge I love your updates please don't stop.

#86 18.Mar.17 15:46:11

ridge walker

The pipeline has advanced 3-4 lengths and is now under the bridge, well the machines and tractor with the pipe trailer are- no workers on site other than 2 labourers clearing the pavement,   the pub is only accessable from Chadderton for vehicles and closed from Royton to Cinder Lane then a short walk, will take a week to pass under the bridge so i can see a months work left to get to the treatment plant.

The school is now demolished but no men working today, the bricks are red Accrington mill type and there being sorted and stacked on pallets and then wrapped as re-claimed.   The masons were busy today with more stone peices from the upper coping, one key stone dater 1909 which will be a completion date, they are using a small hoist to handle the blocks but its fixed so cant be easy as there on the car park,  it appears they have started working on the wall top where an arched section will go, the blocks are curved anyway anything surprises me what comes next.

Remember the tree that blew down on Middleton Road, they removed the wood and left a hole with a plastic cone so no one would fall in it, well they have planted a new tree in the hole so that will stop a car parking there on the grass, well if they put cones around it, or a fence or some nice rocks.

TLDR.   Flipping rain, wet through now and loads to do at home, i'm shredding paper before i bin stuff, page by page so will be here all weekend, only needs the names and addresses cutting off but its theraputic this, remove the staples and sticky envelope flaps and keep the edges streight as i feed them into the machine,  why cant we use an industrial shredder or incinerator at the veola recycling plant to dispose of such items like till receipts and parking fines, court summonses and council tax demands from 1960, you cant burn stuff in this weather can you.

#87 29.Mar.17 15:11:48

ridge walker

Baths stonework now includes the arched coping stones above the carved crest, very heavy peices several feet wide complete with iron fasteners, this work only gets done at weekends, the steel angle iron supports at the base has been reduced by 3-4 inches and sit better below the stone edges, at 1/2 inch thick they have been cut neatly in situation without damage.

Byron St school clearance in full swing including the basement cellers, men still cleaning the bricks of morter and stacking them in pallets of 500, hard work on hands and wristes with the hammers, arms and back doing that all day, a big pile with a digger on top leaves much more to be done  but at least its showing signs its in the final stages.

The book of remembrance in the town hall entrance hall is a fine tribute to TL, only last week i was reading his old newsletters from 2008 while i was clearing my documents,  he published them all from that date after they replaced the lib dems to control the council again,  these and other old papers from 2000 that are now disposed of has been a wrench but things had to go, Tony left his mark and will be remembered, RIP.

#88 03.Apr.17 21:05:46

ridge walker

Whats happening ? Chief asked recently then dissapeared, i try to bring news of developments going on in Royton without any interest being shown, take the two demolitions of the baths and the school that caused such concern in the past and the saving of the stonework that now slowly being returned for display purposes, the calls i receive about the work and the questions i receive  'Have i seen It' this and that when i'm reporting on progress on all these every week, yet no interest is now being shown on anything.

This weekend, a date stone has been added, its been cut from a larger peice to fit into a slot at the base, i dont know if the men are stonemasons or just just odd jobbers working for free as a favour as non of their vehicles are marked and they dont wear any identification or protective equipment, the big man in charge said they were masons,  and i dont know how much this is costing or whose paying for it but we can speculate its from local budgets or donations from the companies involved, residents and cllr's,  who knows its never been made public.

While you think about this and can offer a reason, i notice the benches in the public realm area at the rear of the town hall, that they have been all re-slatted with box steel tubing , in a reddish colour, only the backs have been sealed with end caps, the seat bars are open, these are the same as those on the precinct which are black in colour, by the condition this may have been done weeks ago as there already scuffed and dirty, who decided this and chose such an unsuitable material that nobody can use as there wet all the time unless you carry a towel with you to dry them off first, i only say this as were conducting a questionair for residents to fill in, and i cant see why anyone is promoting it and who set the questions like 'what do you like about the town'  well thats always been up for discussion since Adam was a lad, its the wrong question but theres plenty more but no one likes any of them or we would all be buzzing and its not.

#89 03.Apr.17 21:13:25

ridge walker

Whats happening ? Chief asked recently then dissapeared, i try to bring news of developments going on in Royton without any interest being shown, take the two demolitions of the baths and the school that caused such concern in the past and the saving of the stonework thats now slowly being returned for display purposes, the calls i receive about the work and the questions i receive  'Have i seen It' this and that when i'm reporting on progress on all these every week, yet no interest is now being shown on anything.

This weekend, a date stone has been added, its been cut from a larger peice to fit into a slot at the base, i dont know if the men are stonemasons or just just odd jobbers working for free as a favour as non of their vehicles are marked and they dont wear any identification or protective equipment, the big man in charge said they were masons,  and i dont know how much this is costing or whose paying for it but we can speculate its from local budgets or donations from the companies involved, residents and cllr's,  who knows its never been made public.

While you think about this and can offer a reason, i notice the benches in the public realm area at the rear of the town hall, that they have been all re-slatted with box steel tubing , in a reddish colour, only the backs have been sealed with end caps, the seat bars are open, these are the same as those on the precinct which are black in colour, by the condition this may have been done weeks ago as there already scuffed and dirty, who decided this and chose such an unsuitable material that nobody can use as there wet all the time unless you carry a towel with you to dry them off first, i only say this as were conducting a questionair for residents to fill in, and i cant see why anyone is promoting it and who set the questions like 'what do you like about the town'  well thats always been up for discussion since Adam was a lad, its the wrong question but theres plenty more but no one comments on any of these or we would all be buzzing and its not.

#90 04.Apr.17 08:20:05

ridge walker

Something was sticking and could no submit, took ages and i lose a lot of text when this happens, i cant type very quickly so may be timed out taking too long.

#91 06.Apr.17 14:50:09

ridge walker

Had to visit the town centre on market day, drove into the precinct car park with cars already circulating or waiting for spaces to clear, with so many big trader vans on site they require 2 bays long, why have the council refused to open up the old health centre site for these large vehicles and prefer to just fence it off and leave it vacant, just a clean up of refuse and the no surfacing required for occasional use, are traveler occupations the reason or some legal issue, just open one side so its not enclosed and these commercial vehicles can get in and keep the bays open for shoppers.

Cars are often seen on the precinct and thats been mentioned earlier with no answer why this is allowed, the space between the rear of Lloyds Bank and The Royton Medical Centre is being used as parking space for these large vehicles since the bollards were removed, i now learn parkers on Lidles are avoiding the cameras and driving over the narrow verge at the side of the Duke to drive out onto Market Street and then through the precinct car park using this alleyway to avoid fines, the verge is a planting area with bark dressing.   i noticed someone has lifted back the landscape underlay and folded back a large section of bark and exposed the plants in very small holes underneath, as a feature to the entrance doors from Market Square its ruined now and makes the store that bit less attractive than before.

Chadderton held its first market on Wednesday on their precinct  when it has a market ground just yards away behind the units, the trend to place these markets on Market Streets and precinct areas without any additional space or provision for them is being driven by OMBC attempts to trial these areas as they have destroyed traditional market grounds by high rents, its now destroying the precincts created as pedestrian only areas, one off xmas markets started this we need to consider the impact this is having and plan our towns better,  if its successful build something for it and invest, doing this on the cheap like this for no cost, while vacant land is boarded up nearby is rediculas.   Whats going on really need explaining.

#92 06.Apr.17 20:31:31

ridge walker

The pipeline has passed the Street Bridge terraced row, and been capped with concrete, at the same time the gas people are replacing their supply pipes that pass though the trench to the gas supply pipe on the other side of the road, thats also been dug up, how the houses near the Irk Bridge get new supply pipes now that parts finished is a mystery- will it have to be dug up again?  Wait and see.

Small steel joints have been supplied that will be used to turn the corner into the WWTW, once fitted off the road on cleared land at the river crossings they have to be anchored by a concrete encasement to secure all movement, as the pipes contents will be under pressure to gain Foxdenton Works where treatment will be done.  The pipe is just being installed in the school grounds near Burnley Lane, then cross the road and drop down to the Irk Bridge crossing, a severe slope to overcome under gravety some 70-80 feet high, remarkable if is all works.

#93 08.Apr.17 12:22:34

ridge walker

New posters in the public notice boards showing the parking areas around the  town centre and precinct, it shows the precinct car park is now  short stay (3hours) and only 24 long stay spaces (18hours), i checked the signs and they say its Long Stay on all bays so is there a change due, if not who placed these signs with clear errors, i counted the bays and only those behind Boyes make 24 inc disabled, the corner plot facing the Anchor are fewer approx 16 spaces.

The stonework display is now complete, planting has been done and coping stones added to the brick wall that backs the display, also the bays nearby have raised buffers to prevent accidental bumps into the brickwork, still behind wire fencing so the monkeys wont have access, make it perminant before everything is uprooted and stolen.  jk

For some reason the rubble left from Byron St school is being piled up along the street edge, could be they need to excavate under the playground where the pile used to be.  Get a move on please seems like ages since work began and no word when it may be sold or redeveloped , whose interested and what price their asking, £300 an acre for green fields on farmland, bit cheeky but that make houses cheaper to build and more profit for the builders........ less cost to the buyers in your dreams- good design costs money and quality will always sell.

#94 10.Apr.17 20:24:35

ridge walker

The UU pipeline has now reached the point where the high pressure gas main crosses Street Bridge, it must be very deep down, the pipe has just made a change of direction using one of the small joints, its now crossed over to the left side of the road for Royton and because of the acute angle with a high dry stone wall, it had to be removed- possible 20 yards in total,  the next length of pipe will reach cleared open land on the left and then cross the Irk  tributary brook, and begin its rh turn to cross the road again and enter the treatment site through  the chain link boundary fence line, this steep corner has tree surgeons cutting away the trees and shredding the waste with a tracked machine, heavy logs of large diameter are been set aside after being cut into short lengths. the pipe is very deep and the top which is visible is at least 10-12 ft below ground so the depth of the gas line has to be more that a metre lower still if they intend to cross over one another, the engineers were inspecting this as the trench has callapsed under the road surface and hollowed it out being soft cinder material their using the steel safety frames but this is a very dangerous situation and great care must be taken.   I witnessed this pipeline being installed and cant remember it being this deep here, it passed close to my home and it was very shallow- no more that a metre down, at a point an expansion joint was fitted that was bent like a paper clip under the  footpath 65, of coarse it may have gone deeper  as it went through the mill yard and the Water Treatment Works to reach Street Bridge as i was working at that time, the difficulty is i know the culvert for Luzzley Brook passes along and just under the mill lane and its stone slabbed roof is just under the surface.

The 1500 mm concrete pipe has now entered the mill lane that serves as access to the the treatment works, and their making a sharp 90 degree turn left behind recently built houses and will eventually reach a huge concrete culvert that runs under the motorway, this is at least 20ft square and its where the river Irk comes together, this section is not accessable to me but the section i could see was,  they must have cut through the top of the first culvert, how this is done without causing a blockage is unknown, but its been a reason for past flooding of the road for decades, there is a rise in the lanes surface but not enough to bury a 5 ft diameter pipe...... all will be revealed in the next installment, i'm going under the wire to avoid the searchlights or i can just ask.

#95 10.Apr.17 20:40:20

ridge walker

The UU pipeline has now reached the point where the high pressure gas main crosses Street Bridge, it must be very deep down, the pipe has just made a change of direction using one of the small joints, its now crossed over to the left side of the road for Royton and because of the acute angle with a high dry stone wall, it had to be removed- possible 20 yards in total,  the next length of pipe will reach cleared open land on the left and then cross the Irk  tributary brook, and begin its rh turn to cross the road again and enter the treatment site through  the chain link boundary fence line, this steep corner has tree surgeons cutting away the trees and shredding the waste with a tracked machine, heavy logs of large diameter are been set aside after being cut into short lengths. the pipe is very deep and the top which is visible is at least 10-12 ft below ground so the depth of the gas line has to be more that a metre lower still if they intend to cross over one another.

The engineers were inspecting this as the trench has callapsed under the road surface and hollowed it out being soft cinder material,  their using the steel safety frames but this is a very dangerous situation and great care must be taken.   I witnessed this gas main being installed and cant remember it being this deep here, it passed close to my home and it was very shallow- no more that a metre down, at a point an expansion joint was fitted that was bent like a paper clip under the  footpath that runs alongside the brook, of coarse it may have gone deeper  as it went through the mill yard and the Water Treatment Works to reach Street Bridge as i was working at that time, the difficulty is i know the culvert for Luzzley Brook passes along and just under the mill lane and its stone slabbed roof is just under the surface.

The 1500 mm concrete pipe has now entered the mill lane that serves as access to the treatment works, and their making a sharp 90 degree turn left behind recently built houses and will eventually reach a huge concrete culvert that runs under the motorway, this is at least 20ft square and its where the river Irk comes together, this section is not accessable to me but the section i could see was just before they placed fencing in the way that had been left open,  they must have cut through the top of the first culvert or it enters it then leaves through a side exit in its walling where the pipe continues so must be engineered, how this is done without causing a blockage is unknown, but its been a reason for past flooding of the road for decades, there is a rise in the lanes surface but not enough to bury a 5 ft diameter pipe...... all will be revealed in the next installment, i'm going under the wire to avoid the searchlights or i can just ask.

#96 11.Apr.17 07:22:40

ridge walker

Oops, the only way i can submit, the button fades out for some reason- i assume i'm timed out, sorry.

#97 12.Apr.17 14:02:15

ridge walker

The Stone work display has had thin stone placed on the front lower edge to conseal the steel angle supports, these have been mortored around the edges but more is required to prevent grips by hand at its edges, the wire fencing has been removed, the rain has refreshed the display. 

Byron St School remains a spoil heap for rubble waste, so no urgency there, meanwhile the overturned wall coping stones to the walling along Radcliffe Street and the precinct car park have still not been replaced, by overhanging the edges the stones can be lifted off, this happened to flags used for this purpose along High Street before Lidle was built and they also were left loose for months before replacement and allowed them to be broken, urgency or lack of a stitch in time leaves a costlier repair.

Holden Fold Lane is again covered in potholes just weeks after they were filled, the upper section is suffering from gas main renewal and closed to traffic,  due to last 5 weeks from the 8th April,  the potholes that were left following the last repair have grown from a few and thought to have been due to lack of tarmac to scores within a week, why else were they left unrepaired ?  This repeated failure to resurface the road now subject to increased traffic as its a diversion route, and the known lack of budgets for such work is bound to impact on this service, its a problem thats not going away and must be followed up and pursued, it cant be left, the new method of repair using new technowlodgy blasting machines have failed, were not getting 5 years life out of these repairs as promised compared to the old, its days only before new ones appear. This section of road is the main access for two estates, with the older Royley Park reliant on it now Street Bridge is closed.

#98 12.Apr.17 15:20:43

ridge walker

Not forgetting and i often do, outside the Wellbeing Centre on Park Street theres a large yellow grit box, its broken and split and located nr the entrance doors and the footpath to the baths car park (Liesure Centre) its full of litter and detritus and open to all to see, recent shrub and flower planting has just been completed while this grotesqe dirty edifice meets everyone entering or leaving the building, meanwhile the gallant dandy man leaves his litter bags alongside the seating on the public realm for collection and other beauty spots around the town, cant say how pleased i am as he's doing a fantastic job in Royton, however why is this Grit box left in such condition year upon year and nothing is done about it, wheres the pride, wheres the care, whats in the heads of the staff as they arrive for work every day and this is what greets you day in day out, it should not be tollerated for one minute, yet nothing is done to remove it, a health centre next to a vile stinking health risk the sight of which makes you sick not feel better, please say you have all noticed and you dont know what you can do about it......... unbeleivable.

#99 13.Apr.17 08:20:46

James Larkin

Have you reported it, Ridge?

#100 13.Apr.17 12:15:43

ridge walker

I have James, waiting for a responce, must be the wrong people who take messages who pass it on to those in charge and promise to phone you back when they return to the office or from holiday,  Henshaw House closed to the public, the Civic closed to the public for service department enquiries and refered to telephones or emails, very good that is, recommended,  the town hall closed to the public, the library- no one answers, you really must keep up with the forum James, not your chosen method as representatives we know  but hope still remains,   get some fresh air once in a while, its a team effort this, we say they do or thats the principle, if you dont know you cant do anything, i post every morning before you set off for work  and remains for weeks and sometimes months afterwards on Talk About Royton, plenty of opportunity to be first to hear whats going on without even going out, very hard to do everything when your all so busy, thanks for the interest.

Board footer