Please read the rules. If in any doubt email iloveroyton@gmail.com

You are not logged in.

China Girl

#1 13.Mar.18 16:32:20

Tony

New Path To Memorial.

Groundworks landscaping are creating a new tarmac path leading from the woods up to the monument and circling it, seem to be well on the way with it. Pity they can't fix the main roads!!

Last edited by Tony (14.Mar.18 18:08:38)

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

#2 13.Mar.18 17:11:04

exile

Re: New Path To Memorial.

Some folks are never satisfied are they.  lol

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#3 13.Mar.18 17:27:53

Woody

Does it come complete with Potholes on the bends tummenupp

I would if I could but I can't,

#4 13.Mar.18 17:34:29

Milly Savage
Banned

Woody wrote:

Does it come complete with Potholes on the bends tummenupp

Better than that, the Woody.

It comes with built in sink holes due to burst pipes !!!!

Any similarity to dirty jokes or political comment is purely coincidental.

#5 13.Mar.18 17:50:59

nola

lol

Really called Janet (and still confused)

#6 13.Mar.18 18:19:15

Tony

lol  lol

#7 13.Mar.18 20:20:52

LittleRach

I’m going to have a moan now. I don’t really like tarmac paths in parks.
The main one going down the hill, and up to the monument is OK - but any mor than that and I’d personally prefer something a bit more natural than tarmac.

Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

#8 13.Mar.18 21:25:38

Tony

LittleRach wrote:

I’m going to have a moan now. I don’t really like tarmac paths in parks.
The main one going down the hill, and up to the monument is OK - but any mor than that and I’d personally prefer something a bit more natural than tarmac.

Rach you've unwittingly hit upon Oldham Highways Depts plan for the regions roads lol

#9 13.Mar.18 21:45:42

LittleRach

lol  lol

#10 13.Mar.18 22:11:38

nola

lol   lol

#11 13.Mar.18 23:42:18

ridge walker

Interesting as i have not been up there this year and seen the works,  if they are tarmacing the section that takes the right turn towards the Thornhamm gate and then the sharp left up to the war memorial it would prevent a lot of erosion and parralel paths being taken, help it regenerate.  If it takes a route between the steps through the cleared Rhoddydendron plantation not so welcome, note the second stepped pathway at the top thats disused now to avoid the steep direct route to the pillar thats in poor condition and made up of flag stones and odd sized cobbles and curb stones.   Groundwork employ students but was regarded as as an expensive service compared to using council workmen.

The tarmac path down the hill had to be suitable for traffic to maintain the park, but its terrible for walkers when its wet and frosty, this track that ran up the centre of the wood to the T junction below the piller, then left over the hill and down to the gate near Hough Farm was constructed from waste materials from the Highways dept' it was done to provide a green tipping area  for the parks, its rough and loose and a top dressing of gravel and glass caused a stir.

When money was found to creat the dipping pond near Oozewood road suitable for disabled , they tarmaced the track with new material, in places its over 12inches thick and its without curbing, again suitable for a council truck, one of which serves to empty the litter bins each week but without a turning area to turn around and return, this is a better surface but again it prevents water drainage to reach the brook, there are a few pipes underneath but they have required lots of repair work since.

Is it natural, no it isnt but i contend its better than having to tramp through mud in boots and wellingtons in the winter when visiting the 'Monument'  hate that description , when good shoes and day clothing should be sufficient, and i dont like the side paths or the flagged steps using reclaimed material.... its all down to whats available and the cost, the new path down from the Pillar  had to be improved as errosion was very serious, mostly water damage, the money ran out halfway up so mountain bikes think they can decend down the steps, they cant so go around the edges causing more errosion, using timber with cobble insets have worked well but i maintain the route should have been closed off and the ground restored, its a short cut and a challenge to any runner but the existing routes were available.  We have to be grateful for this work but my question is more about its decision and why was it not announced and discussed first with the public who visit it,  too much is taken for granted.

I could point out when the war memorial was in use vehicle drove up to it, the track had drainage at the sides so thought had gone into its construction, not to the top but far enough to reduce the long walk on armistis day, today its regarded as too remote and insecure after the theft of its decorartion and bronze fittings, then its white granite paving and chain rail was removed, its still a most visited place and Royton Park replaces it, more convenient and still popular but not the real thing at all, remember the sacrifice and the folk of 1919 who paid for it  and those who gifted the park to Royton & Chadderton.

#12 14.Mar.18 00:48:14

Woody

ridge walker wrote:

Interesting as i have not been up there this year and seen the works,  if they are tarmacing the section that takes the right turn towards the Thornhamm gate and then the sharp left up to the war memorial it would prevent a lot of erosion and parralel paths being taken, help it regenerate.  If it takes a route between the steps through the cleared Rhoddydendron plantation not so welcome, note the second stepped pathway at the top thats disused now to avoid the steep direct route to the pillar thats in poor condition and made up of flag stones and odd sized cobbles and curb stones.   Groundwork employ students but was regarded as as an expensive service compared to using council workmen.

The tarmac path down the hill had to be suitable for traffic to maintain the park, but its terrible for walkers when its wet and frosty, this track that ran up the centre of the wood to the T junction below the piller, then left over the hill and down to the gate near Hough Farm was constructed from waste materials from the Highways dept' it was done to provide a green tipping area  for the parks, its rough and loose and a top dressing of gravel and glass caused a stir.

When money was found to creat the dipping pond near Oozewood road suitable for disabled , they tarmaced the track with new material, in places its over 12inches thick and its without curbing, again suitable for a council truck, one of which serves to empty the litter bins each week but without a turning area to turn around and return, this is a better surface but again it prevents water drainage to reach the brook, there are a few pipes underneath but they have required lots of repair work since.

Is it natural, no it isnt but i contend its better than having to tramp through mud in boots and wellingtons in the winter when visiting the 'Monument'  hate that description , when good shoes and day clothing should be sufficient, and i dont like the side paths or the flagged steps using reclaimed material.... its all down to whats available and the cost, the new path down from the Pillar  had to be improved as errosion was very serious, mostly water damage, the money ran out halfway up so mountain bikes think they can decend down the steps, they cant so go around the edges causing more errosion, using timber with cobble insets have worked well but i maintain the route should have been closed off and the ground restored, its a short cut and a challenge to any runner but the existing routes were available.  We have to be grateful for this work but my question is more about its decision and why was it not announced and discussed first with the public who visit it,  too much is taken for granted.

I could point out when the war memorial was in use vehicle drove up to it, the track had drainage at the sides so thought had gone into its construction, not to the top but far enough to reduce the long walk on armistis day, today its regarded as too remote and insecure after the theft of its decorartion and bronze fittings, then its white granite paving and chain rail was removed, its still a most visited place and Royton Park replaces it, more convenient and still popular but not the real thing at all, remember the sacrifice and the folk of 1919 who paid for it  and those who gifted the park to Royton & Chadderton.

Norris Bradbury Of Tynwald Mount gifted Tandle Hills  first large house on Shaw Road after Turf Lane on the right,

#13 14.Mar.18 10:47:46

ridge walker

It was and done shortly after he bought it, the same happened at Grains Bar, OMBC now manage the park and the parks department maintain it, they conduct all the work such as the playgrounds and the improved visitor centre without consultation, however word my reach local councillors, take one example of the memorial stone at the Oozewood gate, the main entrance before Tandle Hill road was constructed as an avenue, it was complete with buildings and others in the park but now all demolished.

The stone was accessed by a worn out grassed path  and surrounded by recent tree planting that hid the stone from view, and are now overgrown, someone decided it needed a clean up so it was removed, turned around, replaced and surrounded by limestone chippings  and a most heinous crime was commited  by even touching it,  the tree's needed clearing back and a surfaced footpath laid so visitors could see it standing proud on its little hill top,  this area was the scene of its great opening day with speakers on a raised platform addressing the crowds, the stone commemorated this event.

Take the route of The Oldham Way from the Oozewood entrance, it runs directly up the hillside to Flagstaff Hill and the burnt out picnic site, itis now concealed within new planting of trees, on a very uneven  unsurfaced path with no preperation or sign posting, this is natural like the original path from the same gate that lead to the Shelter thats been demolished, in effect the history of the park and its famous gatherings for Peterloo have been lost to todays children, the stream that runs through the park is a disgrace, natural but left alone its erroded into a deep cutting, flags placed at the bottom to stop sand being washed away were removed as it was not natural- the word is senseless, as is the felling of large numbers of ancient trees to creat clearings for habitat and to lower the canopy by allowing new growth to develope- its taken 40 years without any sign of it worth felling the mature  healthy specimens, while dead and damaged trees trees were left alone for habitate reasons, bugs, insects and roosting of bats.  All justified and approved by this council when money became available.

#14 14.Mar.18 11:58:23

Tony

ridge walker wrote:

Interesting as i have not been up there this year and seen the works,  if they are tarmacing the section that takes the right turn towards the Thornhamm gate and then the sharp left up to the war memorial it would prevent a lot of erosion and parralel paths being taken, help it regenerate.

It is this section and whether the final surface is to be tarmac or hardcore is not known, it will permit disabled access more readily when complete though so perhaps that is a reason for the work.

#15 14.Mar.18 15:19:28

ridge walker

I visited this morning, the firm is from Groundwork Middleton not the Trust, 3 men 3 machines, excavator, dumper truck and a wacker plate, no tarmac, they simply scrape a shallow trench 4 inches deep x 5 ft wide and fill it with crushed sandstone 0-1 inch and firm with the wacker plate, no shuttering at the edges but spoil from the digging will back up the edge then seeded, several timber beams installed across the width forming shallow steps near the piller.

They only intend to run down to the elbow and just over the brow of the hill to join the decent down the flank of the hill without joining it to the steps, a small branch leads to the top flieght of steps but no work will be done here or to the curved path to the btm steps, with a tight circuit of the piller, around the compass point and in front of the two benches.  Most of the spoil is tipped down the slopes and taken to fill up the rutted sections  but its not levelled yet, ground conditions are a mess due to machine movements and theres a lot of verge damage bringing the stone in from the car park.

While i was there the Parks team were cutting up the fallen trees, at least two where loaded into a tipper lorry including the root ball of one of them, at least 8 trees have fallen and cut up along the central drag bar two thats out of harms way, they had a tracked shredder for branches, they may return later after they stopped at noon,  removing these heavy logs with a special grab on the crane is a good sign but expect others will be left to rot, a winch would make them all accessable, about 6 men were involved in this work.

The park was busy but the cafe was closed, no notice of these works were posted so its down to observation by visitors, the grassed areas are very thin and rather sticky underfoot with mud, and i must correct myself as the main track does have a new rolled tarmac surface, the branch paths are surfaced with tarmac shavings from road repairs but i still dont care for the need to have them, i like carpets of leaves, i realise this was surfaced to create a track to build a log pile that would grow fungi, never liked leaving wood to rot and get covered in moss,  or building brush piles as its easier not to burn it or remove it however many frogs may make a home in it.  Glad the enclosure netting has been removed also but others remain, dreadful idea.

#16 14.Mar.18 19:21:19

Rebel

Tony wrote:

Groundworks landscaping are creating a new tarmac path leading from the woods up to the monument and circling it, seem to be well on the way with it. Pity they can't fix the main roads!!

No no no no no  this is absolute  bobbins  .  This is because too many people are visiting Tangs   .  This is another development of people having cars and driving up there.     I would ban all cars from a two mile radius of the park in fact a five mile radius.  They have ruined that park .

I was in the House when the house burned down !.

#17 14.Mar.18 19:23:12

LittleRach

I’m with you Rebel.  The play area at the top was the beginning of the end.

#18 14.Mar.18 21:14:03

ridge walker

Visitor numbers are a concern, it was decided to increase these by adding these new features and other recreational activities, the funding from  the government for the 2 play areas only had a limited take up period so that happened, there was support for this from parents of children gathering on street corners and they wanted the park opened up and more challenging equipment for the older ones supported by the police.  Funding for disabled access is also easy to find so that too is taken up, however in this case it appears as a normal repair job.  The numbers issue was due to the high cost of maintaining the park, to justify its budget more visitor were needed, Parks had suffered heavy budget cuts and job losses, untill the Bloom and Grow competition successes won increased support, even now its considered a waste of money.

On a side issue, the condition of Tandle hill road is shocking, its one long potholed road from start to finish, i'm surprised there isnt more complaints about it having better quality housing along it, the number of patches of earler repairs make it a joke, it needs a total resurfacing job.

#19 14.Mar.18 21:18:59

exile

Certainly Tandle Hills should be a traffic free zone.  Five miles seems a bit extreme which isn’t like Rebel is it.  Anyway a car park at the gates large enough to keep Tandle Hill Road clear should be created. Then you walk.  It’s a Country Park not an off road driving track.

#20 15.Mar.18 10:27:07

nola

I must be the only one who thinks potholes serve a good purpose in keeping traffic slow.   Give us a newly tarmacked road and woosh! they're off!

#21 15.Mar.18 10:34:27

Tony

nola wrote:

I must be the only one who thinks potholes serve a good purpose in keeping traffic slow.   Give us a newly tarmacked road and woosh! they're off!

It's the damage they are doing to our cars suspension and tyres plus vehicles having to swerve to avoid them that is the problem, tyre walls can become compromised and then when you get on the motorway at speed it risks a blowout, there is a huge increase in MOT failures due to suspension damage at the moment. They need fixing it's what we pay for.

#22 15.Mar.18 13:13:42

ridge walker

My estate has been a 20 zone for years now, we have the clear signage at the entrancies, the bollards, speed tables, speed cushions and mini roundabouts, its also has lots of roadside parking and we have a bus route through it that stops anywhere if anyone is waiting to get on or off.   No one likes any of it and few drive below 20 mph, every bollard has been knocked over or taken out, the cushions if straddled can be easy to drive over, but if any oncoming traffic is on the road and you move over to the curb to avoid a side impact your bounced in the air or you get a puncture from the unswept gutter.

The idea that parking is a safety feature and it slows traffic down is barmy, coming down from the Summit to Oozewood half the road is covered in filth as it cant be swept clean, every car parked at the curb is filthy from the dirt thats thrown up in the wet, double parking should be outlawed, and the yellow lines at the entrance to tandle road should extend to the park gates, you cant exit  at that d---  junction for parked vans both sides,  those learner driver schools who use it to teach 3 point turns on are using it as a test track- i dont mind i'm always willing to wait, the young speeding up and down to the car park and around Oozewood doing circuits- fine them, why cant they close the gates at night and give the resident a key, anyway 20's plenty on residential streets, they do 50 on ours from setting off as if the steepness has to be taken flat out, shows how big their heads are.   Right that covers a bit of it, i will think of something else later, somewhere else that need sorting.

#23 24.Mar.18 18:10:51

ridge walker

The footpath resurfacing work at tangs war memorial appears to be finished, they may intend to return as my note book is full of snags, i must assume this is not going to be left like this and its just preperation work not the final result, i wont refer to my list here, give them a chance to put everything right , we can pay there bill for the work, shake hands and all will be well, we do have park inspectors just like we have inspecting our roads... errr we have to tell them as they cant be everywhere i hear, well unless someone pays a visit dont pay the contractor.

They have removed the railings from memorial so its now open to attack, rather ugly railings to be honest but if they intend to replace them with more suitable ones could they not have left them in place untill the new ones were ready to be fitted, i'm sure they have been ordered and its such a surprise it cant be mentioned and like everthing else you have to go there and see it for yourself in progress or in the forum pages.

Lets now look at our splended Viewpoint that was installed at great cost close to the memorial  to celebrate the  Country Parks 21st anniversary, it points to distant landmarks and their distance, including a compass heading, fantastic, every child in Royton knows them all and visits every week to enjoy this splended setting, not just children but their parents too and their pet dogs, its wonderful to witness what a scattering of a few shovels of crushed stone can do set off the feature, the trig point does not get a look in compared to this, this must feature in Roytons local history as a day to remember, and a new book by FS on changing times.

#24 25.Mar.18 16:36:19

nola

Tony wrote:
nola wrote:

It's the damage they are doing to our cars suspension and tyres plus vehicles having to swerve to avoid them that is the problem, tyre walls can become compromised and then when you get on the motorway at speed it risks a blowout, there is a huge increase in MOT failures due to suspension damage at the moment. They need fixing it's what we pay for.

I know you're right of course, but I just wish the new road surfaces weren't so smooth and conducive to speeding.

#25 26.Mar.18 08:32:54

ridge walker

Nola,  every road has a speed limit they are not condusive to speeding as an open road or the vigure of a sports car driver would like, many very dangerouse country roads without pavements, with many bends and blind corners lined by hedging have 70 mph limits set simply because there not in built up areas, yet wide dual carriageways are restricted to 30mph, all drivers must obey the law not their instinct to drive fast, we know enforcement is lax and drivers break the rules, text on their phones with impunity and disregard all others and road signs, the reaction is the other way, let potholes increase, introduce single lane highways that prevent overtaking, build in cycle and bus lanes, add extra crossing points and speed cushions, narrow roads and build in chicanes, and introduce speed cameras.... its not addressing the real problem, you cant fight congestion by increasing it and you dont raise safety by increasing the dangers.

#26 26.Mar.18 14:52:46

Mags

Tandle Hill Road should definitely have a speed limit. Fast cars bolting down it in the evenings have no concern whatsoever for other people's safety.

#27 26.Mar.18 21:30:24

Tony

Mags wrote:

Tandle Hill Road should definitely have a speed limit. Fast cars bolting down it in the evenings have no concern whatsoever for other people's safety.

It's a 30mph limit at the moment but they completely ignore that, a couple of chicanes placed on the road would sort it.

#28 26.Mar.18 21:32:03

ridge walker

If statistics show accidents have reduced and injuries have fallen it prooves what they are doing is working,  every reported accident is logged, when it reaches a certain level or someone is killed they will look at changing the layout, check the speeds, put in a camera like the one thats green moudy near the entrance on Rochdale Road that no one can explain, how many accidents and injuries have been recorded on this road  thats a built up area and Tandle Hill Road is 30mph maximum,  we hear from everyone how bad it is but wheres the statistics, its always within acceptable levels and nothings done, i like the 2 speed awarness signs by the way.

Take our crossing point at the Library, it concentrates pedestrians in a single point, now the busiest crossing in the borough, you can observe as long as you want and never see anything, yet i see a tailender dash out into traffic hoping to cross by tagging on the end and keep running once on the other side, Bernard J knew this and refused to have a pelican traffic light controled crossing point for that reason, they ignor the red light, see a gap and dash out- why wait were not children then BANG there on the floor, another statistic.   Moving the crossing to line up with the town hall and Market St will  do what exactly- look better, help traffic flow and reduce accidents,  1 ticks not enough.

#29 26.Mar.18 21:56:48

sg
Administrator

Just been up to the monument with a few families tonight. The railings are gone and so are the stone base that was around the base of the monument. It's nice to have direct access to the monument without having to go through a gate. I Hope they leave it like that

[citation needed]

#30 26.Mar.18 22:01:29

Tony

sg wrote:

Just been up to the monument with a few families tonight. The railings are gone and so are the stone base that was around the base of the monument. It's nice to have direct access to the monument without having to go through a gate. I Hope they leave it like that

If the new railings aren't installed soon it will end up full of graffiti  sad

#31 26.Mar.18 22:07:50

exile

I thought they moved the “ official “ memorial to St Paul’s these days because the monolith at Tandle Hills was too difficult for people to get to in November ?  If so then it’s just a stone column now with decorative value.

#32 26.Mar.18 22:26:43

Woody

exile wrote:

I thought they moved the “ official “ memorial to St Paul’s these days because the monolith at Tandle Hills was too difficult for people to get to in November ?  If so then it’s just a stone column now with decorative value.

Its pity the Monument could not have been resited in Royton Park for all to visit,

#33 27.Mar.18 08:54:35

ridge walker

Your winding me up now, Monolith- resiting- direct acces through a gate ..... it was padlocked, decorative use, St Pauls, only Tony i can trust these days,  decades ago at the tea hut a group were talking and taking in the view of the trees and the manchester plain, one fellow said it would be a good place for houses to have such a scene in the morning, even in jest i spat my bovril out- nearlly ended up fighting and name calling  ' get back to where you came from' things like that ' and take your mates with you'  goodness i was good back then as well.

There are rumours  recovered plaques from the WAR MEMORIAL are in storage  and copies were being made from a non valuable material and be reinstated where they belong- some thing fire proof and able to withstand crowbar attacks or hammers, graffiti etc, promices promices cant depend on anyone....... your entitled to your view but come on...... its a joke,   must be.

#34 27.Mar.18 18:26:44

sg
Administrator

Tony wrote:
sg wrote:

If the new railings aren't installed soon it will end up full of graffiti  sad

The gate was never locked all the times we've been up in recent years.

[citation needed]

#35 27.Mar.18 20:01:48

ridge walker

Never locked ! over recent years, thats surprising, now the railings have been removed we will have to accept it, if the padlock had been stolen or taken off and someone  noticed it would either have a replacement fitted  in days or  the  memorial would have dissapeard for a rockery, how many would have fitted their own locks to protect it if they had known.  being open is better but if it was defaced or damaged as a result what would you say then.    This column is admired and known by every driver using the M62, it says Royton, it honours the men of Royton, its the most photographed structure in the town i would think  taken by the most individuals. How many visitors make the walk to stand beside it every year, thousands upon thousands far more than Royton Park and that has no counters checking the numbers to justify its budget.

#36 01.Apr.18 11:19:23

Philpot
Banned

I recall many times being today by a local historian that the earth mound on which the monument stands is man made and very old

Making it a likely Saxon or Roman fort of some significance in the ancient past

It’s commanding position would have been an ideal strategic location

#37 01.Apr.18 12:48:04

Erin

Philpot wrote:

I recall many times being today by a local historian that the earth mound on which the monument stands is man made and very old

I would like to think that is true, it's position makes that very feasible.

Last edited by Erin (01.Apr.18 15:15:57)

#38 01.Apr.18 12:53:00

Woody

Erin wrote:
Philpot wrote:

I would like to think that is true, its' position makes that very feasible.

Could it have been a burial mound, 

Or Hill fort there is a Roman road runs over Blackstone Edge stand at Hollingworth Lake and you can see the road/track outline to the left of the lake going over the hill,

#39 01.Apr.18 16:59:09

Philpot
Banned

Woody wrote:
Erin wrote:
Philpot wrote:

I would like to think that is true, its' position makes that very feasible.

And the Roman Road which runs past St Aidan’s School wink

Could it have been a burial mound, 

Or Hill fort there is a Roman road runs over Blackstone Edge stand at Hollingworth Lake and you can see the road/track outline to the left of the lake going over the hill,

#40 01.Apr.18 18:22:49

Philpot
Banned

Have a look at the monument mound on Google maps

In 3D view the mound looks very symmetrical and man made

#41 01.Apr.18 19:29:18

Philpot
Banned

And in 2D view the symmetrical circular base of the earth mound can be seen clearly

#42 04.Apr.18 09:13:43

Barleycorn

It is none of those things, unless it has been so radically altered to have lost all distinguishing features.

Most likely to be the result of industrial era sand extraction (a lot of that went on around Royton, changing the topography to a huge extent)  or landscaping when the initial tree planting went on.

I'll have a quick peep at some references later, but I doubt very much it is Roman, or earlier.

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#43 08.May.18 18:28:03

Philpot
Banned

Barleycorn wrote:

It is none of those things, unless it has been so radically altered to have lost all distinguishing features.

Most likely to be the result of industrial era sand extraction (a lot of that went on around Royton, changing the topography to a huge extent)  or landscaping when the initial tree planting went on.

I'll have a quick peep at some references later, but I doubt very much it is Roman, or earlier.

Have a look at this

DZx5_phXUAEcTQY.jpg

And this

DZx6F5qXUAEZkNg.jpg

That mound has to be man made.

Roman is favourite. It’s a great spot for a Hill fort

#44 08.May.18 19:01:18

Tony

This was talked about in a very old Royton thread.
http://www.iloveroyton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11267

#45 08.May.18 19:03:56

Woody

Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:

Have a look at this

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZx5_phXUAEcTQY.jpg

And this

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZx6F5qXUAEZkNg.jpg

That mound has to be man made.

Roman is favourite. It’s a great spot for a Hill fort

Could have been flattened when the Monument was erected looking at the circle in the first photo some groundwork has taken place,,

Last edited by Woody (08.May.18 19:05:21)

#46 08.May.18 19:22:30

Philpot
Banned

Tony wrote:

This was talked about in a very old Royton thread.
http://www.iloveroyton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11267

Interesting. I think I was in the Tandle Hill tavern when the historian was describing the ancient fortress at the monument. That must be 10 years ago at least

#47 08.May.18 20:19:53

Rebel

The headless cavalier who rides the woods at full moon  is more plausable than a rmRoman fort .

I was in the House when the house burned down !.

#48 09.May.18 07:20:47

Philpot
Banned

The at the base of the mound the circular feature can clearly be seen

This was most likely to be a ditch which would have ran around the outer lower palisade fence of the enclosure

#49 09.May.18 07:48:25

ridge walker

Imagination running wild here, the evidence surrounding the war memorial is clear enough but its not ancient as you believe, not a hill fort either so sorry to dissapoint you, not even a fire beacon to warn of the arrival of the armada or viking invaders, its all a bit of landscaping to cause that effect.

#50 09.May.18 12:47:50

Barleycorn

This is not a hillfort, iron age, roman or otherwise.

A quick look at Edina digimap for a map regression shows the memorial appears after the parkland is created - probably on a mound created during the landscaping or as a result of the various extraction industries that took sand and gravel from around the town.

There are remnants of prehistory all over the borough and beyond ( some nice Mesolithic stuff being found at a project with line of sight of Tandle Hills, over by the wind farm near Rochdale)  but this mound is not one of them, sadly.

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

Board footer