Please read the rules. If in any doubt email iloveroyton@gmail.com

You are not logged in.

China Girl

#1 29.Apr.18 15:26:23

ridge walker

29th April, 4 days left.

Are you excited yet ?    is that too strong a word to use as its just a formality we have to go through and nothing will change,  they will get back in again with a low turnout as we have all past caring now, not done bad really, bit more to do perhaps, cant please everyone and who can do it better, who's standing this time round, whose defending their seat and what have they done to deserve another term, shake them up or stick with it, hard times you cant do everything and nobody knows how hard it is or understands the problems, nobody talks about it, nobody listens anyway.

Phillpot will be back soon, he will know after having all that time to think things over,  one candidate declared so far and woopee put out some literature to look at and read, but who else is lurking- cant be a secret as people are already casting their votes by post,  Woody would like to know and he's our most constant town centre visitor, is it on the notice boards, on display in the library, appeared in the Oldham Times last Thursday with full interviews from the parties..... candidates and what are their issues or is it just the colour, will the young ones take an interest. Good luck and hope its not raining.

#2 29.Apr.18 18:11:14

exile

Re: 29th April, 4 days left.

Philpot might not be back you know, when I was in Manchester last Thursday having a coffee in Pret a Manger I spied on the diagonal corner another bar called Philpot’s.  So I wondered if he had opened a sort of “ have a row “ cafe rather like an Internet cafe only with more noise.   devil

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#3 29.Apr.18 18:42:06

crackerbarrel

exile wrote:

Philpot might not be back you know, when I was in Manchester last Thursday having a coffee in Pret a Manger I spied on the diagonal corner another bar called Philpot’s.  So I wondered if he had opened a sort of “ have a row “ cafe rather like an Internet cafe only with more noise.   devil

big_smile

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

#4 30.Apr.18 14:18:09

Barleycorn

Local politics prof writing in the Guardian ...

BUt this was before the tories started to actually implode nationally...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 … the-tories

Summary if you can't be mithered clicking through ...

"Will the politics change much after Thursday?
There may be a few headline-grabbing results but the broader story will most likely be entrenchment of the status quo. Labour will extend its dominance in England’s big cities and among migrant and minority communities. The Conservatives will lose some ground, as governments usually do, but will continue to reign over most of middle-class suburbia. The collapse of Ukip will reinforce the resurgence of two-party politics, which the Lib Dem recovery will be too feeble to challenge."

Last edited by Barleycorn (30.Apr.18 14:18:54)

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#5 30.Apr.18 23:23:18

China Girl

Will any party or person or group of people really make an actual difference? I think not, they've all had more than their fair chances!  I probably won't bother to vote unless its a glorious day and its somewhere to go for a walk  tummenupp

#6 02.May.18 18:48:42

Philpot
Banned

There is one question that we need answering before we vote

Is the rampant anti-Semitism that has grown within the Labour Party caused by Corbyn’s inability to manage the party?

Or

Is Jeremy Corbyn an anti-Semite himself ?

#7 03.May.18 10:26:20

Barleycorn

Philpot wrote:

Is the rampant anti-Semitism that has grown within the Labour Party caused by Corbyn’s inability to manage the party?

Or

OK, I'll answer.

1. It isn't rampant - that is the RW agitators stirring up fear because they are scared of Corbyn.

2. Corbyn has opposed racism all his political life.  That includes anti-Semitism.   He is no fan of Israel as a state - but that is not the same thing at all - to conflate the two for political gain is simplistic - and insulting to all involved.

This muddying of the waters is a classic tactic - see also every tory mp interviewed recently about Windrush - they mention illegal immigrants as often as possible.   It is irrelevant to the plight of the Windrush cohort - who are all legal by right.  To mention illegal immigration so often during the debates is a deliberate obfuscation of the issue.  Likewise the critical view of Israel and alleged anti-Semitism on the left.

So - The problem in Labour is real, as it is in all parts of society, and should not be ignored and should be condemned when it (occasionally and regrettably) occurs.  However - it  is being addressed by the (new) leadership in a way it never was before, albeit with due process taking a while longer than many would like - and regardless of that, anti-Semitism in Labour ( which like all racism is a sad aspect of human nature) is a far smaller problem than it is in the general population or on the right of politics, inc the tories.

The desperation of some tory supporting pundits and editors in the MSM, and internet tories in general, is apparent in the relentless coverage of this as a diversionary tactic to scare the majority into seeing Corbyn as some sort of bogeyman.   

In summary - there is no LOCAL issue with antisemitism that should or could be an issue when voting for councillors in North Manchester. 

Welcome back, btw.  wink

Last edited by Barleycorn (03.May.18 10:28:28)

#8 03.May.18 11:21:15

Philpot
Banned

Barleycorn wrote:
Philpot wrote:

Or

OK, I'll answer.

1. It isn't rampant - that is the RW agitators stirring up fear because they are scared of Corbyn.

2. Corbyn has opposed racism all his political life.  That includes anti-Semitism.   He is no fan of Israel as a state - but that is not the same thing at all - to conflate the two for political gain is simplistic - and insulting to all involved.

This muddying of the waters is a classic tactic - see also every tory mp interviewed recently about Windrush - they mention illegal immigrants as often as possible.   It is irrelevant to the plight of the Windrush cohort - who are all legal by right.  To mention illegal immigration so often during the debates is a deliberate obfuscation of the issue.  Likewise the critical view of Israel and alleged anti-Semitism on the left.

So - The problem in Labour is real, as it is in all parts of society, and should not be ignored and should be condemned when it (occasionally and regrettably) occurs.  However - it  is being addressed by the (new) leadership in a way it never was before, albeit with due process taking a while longer than many would like - and regardless of that, anti-Semitism in Labour ( which like all racism is a sad aspect of human nature) is a far smaller problem than it is in the general population or on the right of politics, inc the tories.

The desperation of some tory supporting pundits and editors in the MSM, and internet tories in general, is apparent in the relentless coverage of this as a diversionary tactic to scare the majority into seeing Corbyn as some sort of bogeyman.   

In summary - there is no LOCAL issue with antisemitism that should or could be an issue when voting for councillors in North Manchester. 

Welcome back, btw.  wink

Thanks Barleycorn smile

However I disagree with you (I am sure you are surprised)

We cannot differential local from national politics when we vote. Sure we are thinking more of the local picture at the local elections but the DNA of the parties cannot be ignored

A recent report

Hundreds of protesters have gathered outside Labour’s headquarters in London to campaign against antisemitism in the party. A crowd waving union flags and placards converged on the party HQ in Westminster on Sunday for a demonstration organised by the Campaign Against AntiSemitism.

Messages on placards read “zero tolerance for antisemitism”, “Labour hold Corbyn to account” and “antisemitism is racism”.

There were some shouts of “racist” and “shame”, and jeering when the Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, was mentioned by speakers at the rally. There were also boos for the Momentum leader, Jon Lansman, and for Christine Shawcroft, the former NEC member who resigned last month after backing a party member accused of antisemitism.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 … SApp_Other

Maureen Lipman spoke at this rally!! That’s all we need to know

#9 03.May.18 13:11:18

Tabbycat

Workers have been working all night filling in pot holes on Dogford Road, presumably so they can say they were all repaired before the election  lol

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#10 03.May.18 19:18:38

Woody

Tabbycat wrote:

Workers have been working all night filling in pot holes on Dogford Road, presumably so they can say they were all repaired before the election  lol

So that's one road in Royton that's fit to drive on,

When it opens after essential sewer repairs,

I would if I could but I can't,

#11 03.May.18 19:43:34

Philpot
Banned

DcSwkryXUAA7Et8.jpg

#12 03.May.18 20:35:38

ridge walker

If thats true it will be a first, and done once can be done again elsewhere, i hope they had good access in the evening with all the parking issues so was this arranged beforehand, this is good practice when traffic levels are high during the daytime.

My trip to the poll station did reveal 4 candidates, inc' the Lib Dems and the Greens, did not recognise the names so no point being one, i can only assume what they stand for  as non  had the means to inform me what they could offer to Royton north,   does not make sense just to be an alternative even if you think you could do a better job of it.  TV election results from 11-45pm on BBC 1.

#13 03.May.18 20:59:45

LittleRach

I’ve been to vote.  Went with Labour as usual, but I was more pleased to see that UKIP and BNP and the like weren’t on the ballot slip.  So that’s a small step forward

Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

#14 03.May.18 22:35:49

Penguin

LittleRach wrote:

I’ve been to vote.  Went with Labour as usual, but I was more pleased to see that UKIP and BNP and the like weren’t on the ballot slip.  So that’s a small step forward

No it isn't..

Whether you agree with them or not, having fewer choices of parties to vote for is really bad for democracy.

Oh Brilliant!  big_smile

#15 03.May.18 22:47:56

Woody

Penguin wrote:
LittleRach wrote:

No it isn't..

Whether you agree with them or not, having fewer choices of parties to vote for is really bad for democracy.

When I went to vote Liberal, Labour, Tory, and Greens,

Two party system Greens and Liberal the other options,

#16 04.May.18 07:09:45

Philpot
Banned

Well Labour have fallen flat on their face this morning

No sign of the surge in popularity that they craved

No surprise considering the hard left extremism that forms the core of the current Labour Party

Corbyns anti British, pro Islamist, anti Semitic,Marxist Leadership has cost them dear

#17 04.May.18 08:25:36

ridge walker

On the local front, without know the full details and stats, Labour still has a huge majority on the council and Royton see's no change,  when i find out the turnout figures and the majorities of the winners will i know how popular it was compared to previous results, we have seen in London that having more activists on the ground does not always mean they win more seats, so here i may find without any canvassing the liberals and greens may have received reasonable numbers of votes for little or no effort.   It surprises me at every election that voters still use pins and have a stab at it.

#18 04.May.18 08:29:04

exile

No change in Oldham is hardly a surprise is it ?  You didn’t really need an election for that result.

#19 04.May.18 11:05:18

Barleycorn

Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:
Philpot wrote:

Or

OK, I'll answer.

Welcome back, btw.  wink

Thanks Barleycorn smile

However I disagree with you (I am sure you are surprised)

We cannot differential local from national politics when we vote. Sure we are thinking more of the local picture at the local elections but the DNA of the parties cannot be ignored

A recent report

Hundreds of protesters have gathered outside Labour’s headquarters in London to campaign against antisemitism in the party. A crowd waving union flags and placards converged on the party HQ in Westminster on Sunday for a demonstration organised by the Campaign Against AntiSemitism.

Messages on placards read “zero tolerance for antisemitism”, “Labour hold Corbyn to account” and “antisemitism is racism”.

There were some shouts of “racist” and “shame”, and jeering when the Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, was mentioned by speakers at the rally. There were also boos for the Momentum leader, Jon Lansman, and for Christine Shawcroft, the former NEC member who resigned last month after backing a party member accused of antisemitism.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 … SApp_Other

Maureen Lipman spoke at this rally!! That’s all we need to know

hmmm - Maureen Lipman has left the party, in public and with lots of huffing -  several times - starting way before Corbyn. 

This is a noisy, influential, damaging and completely overstated protest.   As such, it is doing what those behind it want, sadly.      The fact you feel the need to keep rolling it out in relation to an Oldham area election speaks volumes... 

Anyone concerned about racism ( inc antiSemitism) in the UK should have a very long list - and Corbyn would be at the very bottom , if he is there at all.   The fact he is at the top suggests it is a list with a very different aim.

#20 04.May.18 19:59:49

Philpot
Banned

exile wrote:

No change in Oldham is hardly a surprise is it ?  You didn’t really need an election for that result.

Local elections results as expected and wasn't it great to see Labour's Abdul Malik who was given a suspended prison sentence in 2017 getting over 90% more votes than any other candidate in Coldhurst & convicted benefits fraudster Labour's Ali Salamat also getting over 90% more votes than any other candidate in St Mary's.

It really does speak volumes

#21 04.May.18 20:35:45

Barleycorn

Local elections - the worst thing, the very worst is that as you walk around, 6 or more of the folks you pass in the street can't be bothered to spend 30mins (or less) of their time voting.

Dreadful lack of engagement imo.

With those rates anywhere (even Oldham) is a swing seat....   Because only 30% or so of the eligible voters made a selection.

Perhaps it reflects badly on the choice of candidate ...   But if you don't cast a vote, don't moan about decisions made.

#22 04.May.18 20:36:29

sg
Administrator

Philpot wrote:

You're good at making a point without making a point.
It's like setting a huge bear trap just next to where your friends are standing and not telling them it's there

[citation needed]

#23 04.May.18 20:45:48

LittleRach

Barleycorn wrote:

Local elections - the worst thing, the very worst is that as you walk around, 6 or more of the folks you pass in the street can't be bothered to spend 30mins (or less) of their time voting.

Dreadful lack of engagement imo.

With those rates anywhere (even Oldham) is a swing seat....   Because only 30% or so of the eligible voters made a selection.

Perhaps it reflects badly on the choice of candidate ...   But if you don't cast a vote, don't moan about decisions made.

To be honest, I nearly forgot! Got confused about what day it was, and thought it was only Tuesday.  But I did remember, and I did go.

Does anyone know the voter turnout figures locally and nationally?  I can’t seem to find them

#24 04.May.18 23:45:36

Philpot
Banned

sg wrote:
Philpot wrote:

You're good at making a point without making a point.
It's like setting a huge bear trap just next to where your friends are standing and not telling them it's there

Thanks for the feedback but I must confess that I don’t really follow your logic

I would send you a PM but the facility to send and receive such messages appears to have vanished

#25 05.May.18 04:08:51

Rebel

Meaningless waste of money snd time .  Yes i know democracy and all that jazz . Plus all the mither and struggle for emancipation .  But all this means for Royton is more of the same .  We all pay into Oldhams coffers   watch while Oldham town center has year on year upgrades and Royton town centre plods on degrading and getting scruffier.    Nothing will change untill we get a Tory council and thats about as likely as Latics winning the Champions league .

I was in the House when the house burned down !.

#26 05.May.18 10:58:45

James Larkin

Rebel wrote:

Meaningless waste of money snd time .  Yes i know democracy and all that jazz . Plus all the mither and struggle for emancipation .  But all this means for Royton is more of the same .  We all pay into Oldhams coffers   watch while Oldham town center has year on year upgrades and Royton town centre plods on degrading and getting scruffier.    Nothing will change untill we get a Tory council and thats about as likely as Latics winning the Champions league .

If by degrade you mean a new leisure centre, new medical centre, new supermarket and more to come, I'll take that sort of degradation. Changes are on the way  smile

#27 05.May.18 12:58:41

Erin

James Larkin wrote:
Rebel wrote:

If by degrade you mean a new leisure centre, new medical centre, new supermarket and more to come, I'll take that sort of degradation. Changes are on the way  smile

James I take the point you are getting across we have got the above, the leisure centre and medical centre are a great improvements, the supermarket seems to have mixed reactions, but yes it is more choice for shoppng.  When all these improvements were in the planning stage and we were invited  to peruse the plans for the precinct it promised great things.  The reality a few years down the line is very different , the only improvement is a much smaller supermarket in our market square.  When I walk in the precinct all I see is a neglected shopping area (I understand the shops are under private ownership) but apart from the shops the whole area needs attention, the footpaths and paving needs upgrading, the litter makes the area seem grubby and abandoned.  Royton needs money (our money) spent on it to bring it back to a place that it should be.  OMBC wake up to the fact that you have a responsibility to all the areas that make up the metropolitan borough not just the town centre of Oldham and Alexandra Park.

Last edited by Erin (05.May.18 13:42:29)

#28 05.May.18 15:19:28

Philpot
Banned

Erin wrote:
James Larkin wrote:
Rebel wrote:

James I take the point you are getting across we have got the above, the leisure centre and medical centre are a great improvements, the supermarket seems to have mixed reactions, but yes it is more choice for shoppng.  When all these improvements were in the planning stage and we were invited  to peruse the plans for the precinct it promised great things.  The reality a few years down the line is very different , the only improvement is a much smaller supermarket in our market square.  When I walk in the precinct all I see is a neglected shopping area (I understand the shops are under private ownership) but apart from the shops the whole area needs attention, the footpaths and paving needs upgrading, the litter makes the area seem grubby and abandoned.  Royton needs money (our money) spent on it to bring it back to a place that it should be.  OMBC wake up to the fact that you have a responsibility to all the areas that make up the metropolitan borough not just the town centre of Oldham and Alexandra Park.

Very true Erin, .. and to add to your point we must consider a new report which adds to the long list charting the demise of Oldham.

Oldham borough is named as the second least liveable Northern area by the your housing group.

So its well done to Labour Oldham whose socioeconomic policies have seeded the most deprived town in England, the second least liveable area in the North, the highest violent crime increase in the Country, the lowest average pay in Greater Manchester and the fourth highest tax credit payment in the UK.

Labour have been in control of Oldham local government for 33 of the last 45 years and shared control for another 8 yet they refuse to bare any responsibility for the relentless destruction of this borough.

You can read the “Northern Powerhouse Liveability Index” article here https://www.yourhousinggroup.co.uk/yhg- … lackspots/

#29 05.May.18 18:12:38

sg
Administrator

I love everything about Oldham and Royton apart from:
1. Fast cars
2. Brexit voters

[citation needed]

#30 05.May.18 18:15:54

Erin

sg wrote:

1. Fast cars
2. Brexit voters

Is that about 60% of the populous of OMBC SG.   wink  lol

#31 05.May.18 18:57:07

Tabbycat

sg wrote:

1. Fast cars
2. Brexit voters

What, even the vandals who chopped the trees down in Dogford Park? And the kids who play chicken on the main road?

#32 05.May.18 19:38:37

LittleRach

And the people throwing rocks at trams.
And the guys in Royton swearing their heads off on the precinct when there are kids and families about?
And the people who vandalise the playgrounds?

They’re a minority for sure, but they’re a very annoying minority!

#33 05.May.18 23:21:16

Woody

Went in the Railway about 9-45 Police in Highbarn taped off someone said there had been a stabbing still there when I left 10-30 ish ?

#34 05.May.18 23:54:27

sg
Administrator

Erin wrote:
sg wrote:

1. Fast cars
2. Brexit voters

Is that about 60% of the populous of OMBC SG.   wink  lol

Yes! sad
I'm not feeling settled living here since the referendum.

[citation needed]

#35 05.May.18 23:56:19

sg
Administrator

LittleRach wrote:

And the guys in Royton swearing their heads off on the precinct when there are kids and families about?

I don't like those things but they don't make me want to leave town.  Brexit makes me feel really out of place living here.

[citation needed]

#36 06.May.18 00:21:48

Tony

sg wrote:
LittleRach wrote:

I don't like those things but they don't make me want to leave town.  Brexit makes me feel really out of place living here.

Why? We have managed 266 years without the EU and only 45 years with the EU (which will probably collapse anyway) 10 years from now you will have forgotten all about it sg wink

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

#37 06.May.18 09:15:10

Tabbycat

Tony wrote:
sg wrote:
LittleRach wrote:

Why? We have managed 266 years without the EU and only 45 years with the EU (which will probably collapse anyway) 10 years from now you will have forgotten all about it sg wink

This ^^^^^^^^^

#38 06.May.18 09:50:26

ridge walker

SG  must be confusing the feeling of being secure in a wider community of nations, mixing with them and learning the language,  watching children play together without any difficulty, the remainers reasons are economic and the problems of trade and  restrictions on immigration numbers, they dont refer to our security or their courts having supreme authority over ours or there rights over our fishing grounds, they simply  dont have the confidence to be world class and independent.

Regarding philpots post on Oldhams demise, these reminders have been discussed before,   Bernard Judge made much of the tory cuts to the region where areas of greatest need were making the biggest sacrifice compared to the tory south who economy was greater and theirfore received less aid and less cuts from a smaller budget,  he felt that the rich should shore up the poor north in effect saying they were being treated better by not having the problems we suffer, the idea to build the powerhouse of the north to improve our econemy was lost to him and Oldham was in an unfortunate position- loss of its industry and family incomes, reduced housing with rising population and cuts to services,  the council refuses to accept it but its under labour over many years that this has happened and  thats why there not in government today,  maybe this will change but there record cannot be swept clean by a new leader and failings of the tories,  they have to win on merit and thats not proven yet, they made huge mistakes and deserved being defeated, they let the working classes down and lost their support across the country, we just happen to be in an industrial wasteland hit the hardest in this recovery, parts of Gtr Manchester are doing very well and the city is booming.

#39 06.May.18 12:16:01

sg
Administrator

Tony wrote:

Why? We have managed 266 years without the EU and only 45 years with the EU

What was the life expectancy during those years?
And equal rights for all?
And were the farmers looked after?
Did prisoners have good rights?
Did we know what ingredients were in our food?
Did we have free data roaming?
etc

[citation needed]

#40 06.May.18 13:15:45

Tony

sg wrote:
Tony wrote:

Why? We have managed 266 years without the EU and only 45 years with the EU

What was the life expectancy during those years?
And equal rights for all?
And were the farmers looked after?
Did prisoners have good rights?
Did we know what ingredients were in our food?
Did we have free data roaming?
etc

Odd points you make, free data!!
I guess we would have managed like Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland etc have done! We have to get on with it now and stop moaning and what iffing wink
We could knock the EU ball over the net to one another all day (but I'm not Philpot or Barley wink) you have your opinion I have mine and I respect that, get back to me in 10 years we'll see how things pan out then smile

Last edited by Tony (06.May.18 13:16:39)

#41 06.May.18 14:19:50

exile

You could ask all those ladies at the BBC about equal rights since 1970 they don’t appear to very happy bout them to me.

Likewise the farmers in the U.K. who have lost out to the French farmers, and our fishermen likewise.

Prisoners have far too many rights these days, keep ‘em clean and well fed and occupied doing productive work. No need for mollycoddling.

It seems to me we ate more fresh food in 1970. Prepared and cooked at home but that may or may not be the fault of EU

And our internet and mobile phone signal for that matter are intermittent at best. What’s that got to do with the EU

Leaving the EU will at least make our MPs responsible and accountable to US once every five years.  It’s up to us then.

#42 06.May.18 15:19:20

Tabbycat

It all comes down to fear. I think the government is bricking it because they are going to have to actually govern again for the first time in 45 years.
Remember when we made our own laws? And those laws were better than everyone else's?

The remainers tried to tell us  we won't be protected by EU laws any more but our own laws are far superior to any of the other EU countries.

Oh, and what Tony and Exile said.

Last edited by Tabbycat (06.May.18 15:20:40)

#43 06.May.18 16:31:06

China Girl

Isn't it the EU that banned us from having wonky fruit and veg?  Just ridiculous, they all taste the same no matter what shape or size they are.  I see that some supermarkets have started selling it now, separately when there should be no need.

#44 06.May.18 17:18:00

Tony

China Girl wrote:

Isn't it the EU that banned us from having wonky fruit and veg?  Just ridiculous, they all taste the same no matter what shape or size they are.  I see that some supermarkets have started selling it now, separately when there should be no need.

Another silly rule they tried to force on us roll

#45 06.May.18 17:38:14

Erin

We had a referendum, the people made their own minds up which way they wanted to vote, the brexit vote won, end of story.

#46 06.May.18 17:44:44

Tabbycat

...along with Manchester tarts, Eccles cakes and Bakewell tarts ( Have to be made in Manchester, Eccles and Bakewell)

I don't know about the rest of you up there but it was these silly petty rules that swayed me in the end.

#47 06.May.18 18:00:47

exile

That’s another one Tabby, Bakewell Tarts and Chedder Cheese, which applied themselves to us but where mainly aimed at French Grape growers for Champagne.  Again protecting French farmers.

#48 06.May.18 18:15:24

Woody

exile wrote:

That’s another one Tabby, Bakewell Tarts and Chedder Cheese, which applied themselves to us but where mainly aimed at French Grape growers for Champagne.  Again protecting French farmers.

Some of the EU Dictats were senseless misshaped veg so were did all the pre-prepped Veg come from in Super markets were they going to throw Mis-shaped Veg away, 

And items to be made were it said, The Spanish and Italians and other EU members could not make Champagne unless it was from that region in France,

It had to be Sparkling Wine,

I belief it was to protect jobs in small Community's,

#49 06.May.18 18:40:48

Tabbycat

The same with Sherry. If it isn't made in Spain it has to be called fortified wine...crazy!

#50 06.May.18 18:44:51

Tabbycat

All that was going through my mind when they were introducing all these dictats, including the one where they made vacuum cleaner motors less powerful to conserve energy, meaning you had to hoover twice as long to get the carpet clean, was "Is all this a good way to spend all the millions of pounds of our money they have had off us? And is that the most important issue of the day?"

Board footer