Please read the rules. If in any doubt email iloveroyton@gmail.com

You are not logged in.

#1 08.May.18 18:17:31

Philpot
Banned

Our newly elected Councillors

Now that the dust has settled on the local elections perhaps the incumbent councillors could let us all know what improvements they will be making to the lives of the good people of Royton over the next 12 months

#2 08.May.18 19:07:25

Woody

Re: Our newly elected Councillors

Philpot wrote:

Now that the dust has settled on the local elections perhaps the incumbent councillors could let us all know what improvements they will be making to the lives of the good people of Royton over the next 12 months

Not seen any voting figures,

OEC Online said the poll was just over 30% not very impressive,

I would if I could but I can't,

#3 09.May.18 08:32:13

ridge walker

Oldham Times will print to full details tomorrow,  30% is good- even 25%, some wards go under 20%, asian wards always exceed 50% giving an average for OMBC.   The more to come remark from James will not be explained on here, its the councils message they have not finished yet....., they wont promise anything unless they can deliver it, take Byron St school site or the old Health centre, Edge Lane Street and parts of Middleton Road, all vacant land awaiting redevelopment, yes we have a few building plots but do these amount to anything, the Chapel Street works on the Youth Club site is shockingly slow,  and the town hall is so dissapointing after all the fuss they made on their announcement, its just withered away without a word, in fact its the silent treatment i warned you about, working hard in private on case work is like that.

#4 09.May.18 11:30:49

Barleycorn

Really poor turn out - almost everywhere.

40% is considered to be a good turnout for local elections - yet that means everywhere is potentially a swing seat, and almost no councillor can claim a true mandate.   

People who say " there is no point voting, XXXX will always vote XXXX, even if it was a donkey wearing a blue/red bage"  are excusing a feckless, disengaged attitude - because there are 60% of the votes going uncast!!!

This lack of engagement is exactly what gives UKIP ( and even Momentum, for balance!)  a foot in the door.

Not voting is shameful, imo.    Whoever you support, you should support something.

I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

#5 09.May.18 11:36:30

exile

Whoever you support, you should support something.

Quite right Barley, I may not agree with how a person votes but it is a hard won right and we should never waste it.

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#6 09.May.18 12:33:48

Erin

The majority of the 60% non voters are too busy moaning about the state of the country, state of their home town, state of the roads, state of the...........the list is endless they need to get off their backsides and have their say.  mad  mad

#7 09.May.18 12:39:43

Woody

ridge walker wrote:

Oldham Times will print to full details tomorrow,  30% is good- even 25%, some wards go under 20%, asian wards always exceed 50% giving an average for OMBC.   The more to come remark from James will not be explained on here, its the councils message they have not finished yet....., they wont promise anything unless they can deliver it, take Byron St school site or the old Health centre, Edge Lane Street and parts of Middleton Road, all vacant land awaiting redevelopment, yes we have a few building plots but do these amount to anything, the Chapel Street works on the Youth Club site is shockingly slow,  and the town hall is so dissapointing after all the fuss they made on their announcement, its just withered away without a word, in fact its the silent treatment i warned you about, working hard in private on case work is like that.

I think going off the responses on ER and comments talking to people around Royton nobody appears to be over enthused with spending £2 Million on a local Town Hall when other needs are so pressing,

Added to this once you change it from its present use to a new user if the idea falls flat changing back more expense,
Decorate the Library essential maintenance on the Town Hall with a Police Post and District offices,

This makes has much sense has the proposal to knock down the Queen Elizabeth Hall and redevelop it more borrowed money,

For a Council with so much debt who has raised its community charge yet again,
Its Akin to raising Tommyfield Market rents for more income which has priced traders off it made it a shadow of its former self,
If it aint broke don't fix it,

#8 10.May.18 08:40:53

ridge walker

Funny story on GMB tv news this morning, about a Welsh councillor who for two and a half years had been repairing potholes in the roads, spending £26 a week on materials, use of his van and his time because his council were having tight budgets and were suffering hard times,  its like Roytoners going round picking up litter and  talking about the town for free when they pay for this in their council tax, dont we have spokespersons for this sort of thing (elected ) and  workers that get paid for this, just extra layers are we not duplicating the teirs (tears) of responsibility, any fool can work for nothing  Ha Ha.

#9 10.May.18 09:39:43

Barleycorn

ridge walker wrote:

Funny story on GMB tv news this morning, about a Welsh councillor who for two and a half years had been repairing potholes in the roads, spending £26 a week on materials, use of his van and his time because his council were having tight budgets and were suffering hard times,  its like Roytoners going round picking up litter and  talking about the town for free when they pay for this in their council tax, dont we have spokespersons for this sort of thing (elected ) and workers that get paid for this, just extra layers are we not duplicating the teirs (tears) of responsibility, any fool can work for nothing  Ha Ha.

Had a conversation last week about civic pride / upkeep / menial jobs etc.

We were speculating about how low/medium level crimninals end up costing 'us' lolts, but repahying little - and then wondering about all the litterpicking, gum removal, fence painting, pavement sweeping that could be done under a community payback scheme.

Problematic - because it isn't fair/right to replace paid employment with a penal chain gang.   

BUT if the work simply isn't getting done (cuts etc)  then is there an argument to spend some of the prison budget (reported widely as well  north of £30K per person per annum, astonishingly) improving our surroundings.

We spend the money anyway - could it be used to organise/deploy workgangs to do some meaningful civic work rather than locking people up in crime acadamies prisons?   

Offenders would be at home, under curfew 6pm - 7am ( surely possible with all the tech we have nowadays) and working 5 days a week to make the place nicer.   Litterpicking,  maintenance, etc. 

Weekends off ( so no visiting to accommodate) but still curfewed ( the equivalent of back in the cell).

Those voucher things dished out for sustenance as paid work not an option, weekend daytime aside.

This would have  to be funded from the existing prison budgets - but surely we could fund local offender team managers (overseeing teams of c15 offenders each wich is enough to fill a minibus) with a minibus, vests, tools, materials etc for less than £500,000 per annum.   ie, the cost of 15 or so prisoners in a cell all day, everyday.

Use local council facilities for the necessary depots, storage etc ( most will have unused capacity nowadays (cuts etc)  and the council invoices the Prison service for the cost plus a SMALL admin fee.    No G4S style margins and profit motive, no shareholders, directors, bonus schemes etc...   Council HR employs the Team Organisers ( under a local Manager, probably).   

They run the jobs, monitor the offenders.   Anyone dodging the work gets to go to jail instead.

VOTE FOR ME !!!!

#10 10.May.18 12:16:12

Woody

Barleycorn wrote:
ridge walker wrote:

Funny story on GMB tv news this morning, about a Welsh councillor who for two and a half years had been repairing potholes in the roads, spending £26 a week on materials, use of his van and his time because his council were having tight budgets and were suffering hard times,  its like Roytoners going round picking up litter and  talking about the town for free when they pay for this in their council tax, dont we have spokespersons for this sort of thing (elected ) and workers that get paid for this, just extra layers are we not duplicating the teirs (tears) of responsibility, any fool can work for nothing  Ha Ha.

Had a conversation last week about civic pride / upkeep / menial jobs etc.

We were speculating about how low/medium level crimninals end up costing 'us' lolts, but repahying little - and then wondering about all the litterpicking, gum removal, fence painting, pavement sweeping that could be done under a community payback scheme.

Problematic - because it isn't fair/right to replace paid employment with a penal chain gang.   

BUT if the work simply isn't getting done (cuts etc)  then is there an argument to spend some of the prison budget (reported widely as well  north of £30K per person per annum, astonishingly) improving our surroundings.

We spend the money anyway - could it be used to organise/deploy workgangs to do some meaningful civic work rather than locking people up in crime acadamies prisons?   

Offenders would be at home, under curfew 6pm - 7am ( surely possible with all the tech we have nowadays) and working 5 days a week to make the place nicer.   Litterpicking,  maintenance, etc. 

Weekends off ( so no visiting to accommodate) but still curfewed ( the equivalent of back in the cell).

Those voucher things dished out for sustenance as paid work not an option, weekend daytime aside.

This would have  to be funded from the existing prison budgets - but surely we could fund local offender team managers (overseeing teams of c15 offenders each wich is enough to fill a minibus) with a minibus, vests, tools, materials etc for less than £500,000 per annum.   ie, the cost of 15 or so prisoners in a cell all day, everyday.

Use local council facilities for the necessary depots, storage etc ( most will have unused capacity nowadays (cuts etc)  and the council invoices the Prison service for the cost plus a SMALL admin fee.    No G4S style margins and profit motive, no shareholders, directors, bonus schemes etc...   Council HR employs the Team Organisers ( under a local Manager, probably).   

They run the jobs, monitor the offenders.   Anyone dodging the work gets to go to jail instead.

VOTE FOR ME !!!!

Every time I have seen Community Payback schemes they seem to be involved in clearing scrubland cutting back overgrown trees and clearing accumulated litter trapped in dense overgrown areas of foliage,
Always looks better when they have done,

#11 10.May.18 15:50:31

Barleycorn

Exactly - its just very rare to see them.   Meanwhile, the prisons are full, and in many places the streets, communal areas and town centres are scruffy / under maintained.

#12 10.May.18 16:07:05

ridge walker

Further to the Tv news interview (ITV) by Susanna Reed & Charlotte, the chap was filmed at work cutting open a bag of tarmac, then placing a spade full in a hole full of cigerette butts and ice lolly sticks, he then use a gas flame to soften up the cold material setting fire to it, then used a rammer to flatten it. no cones, no temporary traffic lights no hi vis work clothes, no tac coat for the fill  and no wacker plate or a brush and shovel to clean out the hole first... Reed was impressed, " where did you learn to do this" she asked.  I worked for the Highways department in the 90's and became a cllr, pays for the van and 2 holidays a year for the entire family, i wanted to put something back into the community.

Charlotte then said, "are you not putting men out of a job by doing this" oh no he said they follow me round and do a better job, this will only last 5 minutes but i may earn an honour from the queen, an OBE would be nice for the wife, but it gets me out of the house.   Now payback teams need the paid services of the probation service and the maximum number they can supervise is 6, the cost of the service van, tools and safety equipment is more than  paying council staff and is so inneficiant  because we dont have enough officers who will do the job, there not workers with skills but mainly retired police officers.  The criminals get bored sitting at home so this gets some of them out in the fresh air and they look forward to it, they get tea and lunch but cant use sharps, so litter pickers and plastic bags are safe, as are paint brushes and rollers if they do some decorating if its raining.

#13 11.May.18 08:15:09

James Larkin

I agree with you Barley, except its dependant on these low level offenders being ordered to carry out community payback work. Too many escape with a fine they pay at a low rate a week/month.

#14 15.May.18 06:39:05

Philpot
Banned

Philpot wrote:

So has anyone heard anything yet?

#15 15.May.18 12:46:04

Erin

Has anyone got the voting results for Royton North, I have never know it to be as hush hush as this before, come  back the OEC in paper form delivered to my door.  I suspect it must have been too close for comfort for some-one, hope so.

#16 15.May.18 12:57:27

Philpot
Banned

Erin wrote:

Has anyone got the voting results for Royton North, I have never know it to be as hush hush as this before, come  back the OEC in paper form delivered to my door.  I suspect it must have been too close for comfort for some-one, hope so.

It was Erin. Only 180 votes in in

https://www.oldham.gov.uk/homepage/943/ … 3_may_2018

#17 15.May.18 13:14:51

Erin

Closing in. tummenupp  Wish more people would make the effort.

#18 15.May.18 21:04:21

LittleRach

Those turnout figures are appalling.

Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

#19 16.May.18 08:15:59

ridge walker

Very good link from Philpot, sets it out neatly, one day we may get a winning majority of 40%, a 63% majority for our city mayor for instance  cant be argued with, would we ever see the day when we re-run an election if the turnout fell to 18%, how low can it go.......in any election that delegates so much influance over our daily lives.

#20 16.May.18 09:15:25

Philpot
Banned

And today we learn about the councils latest funding plans

14th May
Nearly £500K for 'community cohesion' to be invested by Oldham Council

ALMOST half a million pounds of town hall cash is to be invested in supporting charities and faith groups develop "community cohesion" in Oldham.

Council bosses have agreed to gift nine groups across the borough with annual grants from their "Priority Programme Fund", community cohesion and community festival budgets, totalling £147,400.

A further £265,000 grant is also being proposed to support the work of Action Together, which runs a range of community projects, such as the Fullwood Rangers community garden and Adventure Based Learning, which helps young care leavers in Oldham.

The grant awards contribute to the core running costs of the groups, and helps them provide services that address "disadvantage, equality of opportunity and improve life chances for residents", according to the council.

The authority has been reducing its budget for community groups, cutting £40,000 from the grants it gave out last year.

Greenacres Community Association, Werneth and Freehold Community Development Project (CDP), Oldham Credit Union, and the Oldham Interfaith Forum are set to receive the lion’s share of funding for 2018/19.

The remaining £11,400 will be divided between Stop Hate UK, Oldham Carnival, National Play Day and Oldham Pride.

But Oldham Race Equality Partnership, which works to stamp out hate crime, will be get no town hall cash after bosses decided to review its governance structure and made staff redundant.

Council chiefs told the group they did not feel they were getting value for money because it did not have the ‘capacity to achieve significant impact’ in the community.

A report by the council’s ‘stronger communities manager’ reads: “As a result the organisation will not be undertaking any project work for the foreseeable future, as this will allow the board time to reshape their governance arrangements and develop a new business plan to identify their future direction.”

Funding for the Werneth and Freehold CDP has been increased, and the officer adds that council investment has helped the group attracted around £250,000 a year in external funding.

http://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/news/16 … -invested/

So there we go.

I am sure we are all delighted with that

#21 16.May.18 09:50:59

Barleycorn

All sounds very positive Philpot - just what our borough could do with.   Thanks for flagging this up.  Action Together must be delighted with 1/3rd of the announced funds heading their way.

#22 16.May.18 10:01:40

Penguin

Agreed Mr B! tummenupp

Nice to see Oldham Credit Union getting something, they are really trying to cut the pay day lenders out of the equation - Well worth opening an account with them if you've got a few bob spare so they have more funds to help those more needy.

Oh Brilliant!  big_smile

#23 16.May.18 10:06:23

Barleycorn

Philpot wrote:
Erin wrote:

Right - a couple of streets worth of voters.

But on a vote of just about 2000 people, it is a big lead, in percentage terms. 

So 'only' is misleading.  You could equally say the second place required 20% more votes to equal the winner, which sounds like a firm victory - and would be a very hard swing to achieve for the runner up to contemplate in most sofology terms.

*Lies, damned lies and statistics.*

The main point about these stats (winner aside) is the woeful turnout.

Perhaps we should engage MORE political discourse on a dialy basis - serious, fact driven, verified, real-world debate that impacts on everyone locally and nationally.

Sadly, those who do (on all sides) are too often dismissed as boring - seen by the Cowell/Murdoch/Kardashian worshipping masses as 'dull, obsessed, cultish, radical, extreme' etc etc. 

If you are annoyed by the result, turn your fire on the apathy of your family, friends and neighbours - and not the opponents who ( wrong as they are!!) AT LEAST TURN UP.

And I say this in full awareness that UKIP almost certainly gained traction by stirring a few from their slumber - and that has subsequently helped the tories, when some of the 'kippers calmed down and voted tory locally and at the GE.

#24 16.May.18 12:48:46

Philpot
Banned

Barleycorn wrote:

All sounds very positive Philpot - just what our borough could do with.   Thanks for flagging this up.  Action Together must be delighted with 1/3rd of the announced funds heading their way.

It’s all great news isn’t it Barleycorn

However it would be useful if you could explain the benefits Action Today bring to the good people of Royton

#25 16.May.18 13:09:52

Erin

Barleycorn wrote:
Philpot wrote:
Erin wrote:

So 'only' is misleading.  You could equally say the second place required 20% more votes to equal the winner, which sounds like a firm victory - and would be a very hard swing to achieve for the runner up to contemplate in most sofology terms.

Perhaps we should engage MORE political discourse on a dialy basis - serious, fact driven, verified, real-world debate that impacts on everyone locally and nationally.

Sadly, those who do (on all sides) are too often dismissed as boring - seen by the Cowell/Murdoch/Kardashian worshipping masses as 'dull, obsessed, cultish, radical, extreme' etc etc. 

If you are annoyed by the result, turn your fire on the apathy of your family, friends and neighbours - and not the opponents who ( wrong as they are!!) AT LEAST TURN UP.

And I say this in full awareness that UKIP almost certainly gained traction by stirring a few from their slumber - and that has subsequently helped the tories, when some of the 'kippers calmed down and voted tory locally and at the GE.

I have read the above post BC and it is so predictable, you think the 'only' is misleading because of the low turnout, we always have a low turnout nothing new there, and who knows if more people had taken the trouble to vote which way the result would have gone.  Do you think the stay at home voters were all labour supporters?  Perhaps they were showing their dismay at the way the opposition party are conducting themselves.

#26 16.May.18 18:15:43

Penguin

I thought Labour were standing in the Royton South seat uncontested... Didn't get a single leaflet from any other party.

If you want to get elected then you should at least make sure people know who you are!

Oh Brilliant!  big_smile

#27 17.May.18 07:07:31

Philpot
Banned

Penguin wrote:

I thought Labour were standing in the Royton South seat uncontested... Didn't get a single leaflet from any other party.

If you want to get elected then you should at least make sure people know who you are!

A very small turnout, less than 30%

However the Labour only got roughly the same number of votes as the other 3 candidates and only beat the conservatives by about 300 votes.

Clearly political apathy is rife in Royton

#28 17.May.18 12:21:18

Barleycorn

Erin wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:
Philpot wrote:

I have read the above post BC and it is so predictable, you think the 'only' is misleading because of the low turnout, we always have a low turnout nothing new there, and who knows if more people had taken the trouble to vote which way the result would have gone.  Do you think the stay at home voters were all labour supporters?  Perhaps they were showing their dismay at the way the opposition party are conducting themselves.

Not at all.

Probably some Tories / Lib Dems / Greens who think there is no point voting, as Labour always get in ( but as mentioned, with 60%+ of voters not bothering, ANYONE could win, theoretically), some 'kippers who are sad their party has imploded, some Labour who think they don't need to bother in a 'safe area'

All this apapthy is madness, imo,  for the reasons above most places can be swung -  see the ukip surge in the last two GE's - and not voting is, in most cases, inexcusable.

I would rather have 100% turnout, even if my chosen party lost, tbh.   

Seriously - because then everyone knows where they stand, what is required to win a seat, and how your own personal opinions stack up in the grand scheme of things.  Currently, I'm not sure if North Manchester/Oldham is a Labour heartland, if there are more supporters for the right ( tories & ukip) but they have given up, or if it is a fairly even split between broad left and broad right, with assorted Greens & Lib Dems swinging the decision by tactical voting.... who knows?!?

Last edited by Barleycorn (17.May.18 12:22:54)

#29 17.May.18 12:28:31

crackerbarrel

I think voting should be made compulsory - maybe with a fine if you don't unless you have a good reason, such as illness etc.

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

#30 17.May.18 12:31:28

Barleycorn

I agree - but with a 'none of the above' option on the ballot.

#31 17.May.18 14:33:16

crackerbarrel

Barleycorn wrote:

Hadn't thought of that, but yes I agree. tummenupp

Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

#32 17.May.18 15:06:57

Tabbycat

I  agree with Cracker and BC. It winds me up when people moan and complain about the council and then you find out they never bothered to vote.
I bet these folk would be the first to complain if it was decided to do away with voting altogether and have a dictatorship. They would be crying and bleating about their human rights being violated yet they could never be bothered to vote.

Last edited by Tabbycat (17.May.18 15:07:27)

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#33 17.May.18 19:06:22

LittleRach

Barleycorn wrote:

Yep. No reason not to for most people.

Don’t some countries have compulsory voting?

Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

#34 18.May.18 07:11:08

Philpot
Banned

Well let’s have a look at some of the councils funding and spending plans

Oldham Council has been given £602,000 from the government's oddly named "Controlling Migration Fund" to deal with pressures from high volumes of migrants and finds from the national lottery

DddQk0IX4AA3emM.jpg
DddQpA_XcAAPMJH.jpg
DddQrakW0AEDiTv.jpg

Good value eh! And great use of Lottery funds!!!

#35 18.May.18 07:58:37

Tony

roll

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

#36 18.May.18 08:58:32

Barleycorn

roll

Last edited by Barleycorn (18.May.18 08:59:58)

#37 18.May.18 09:05:02

Barleycorn

Philpot wrote:

Oldham Council has been given £602,000 from the government's oddly named "Controlling Migration Fund" to deal with pressures from high volumes of migrants and finds from the national lottery

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DddQk0IX4AA3emM.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DddQpA_XcAAPMJH.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DddQrakW0AEDiTv.jpg

Whatever your view of the specific projects involved - that is how our country works at local level.   

We fund things through councillor led initiatives, matched HLF/LA funding, bids to the ACE, grants from govt depts,  etc etc.

We import workers to do jobs "we" dont like to do - or cant do.    These people bring folks with them (wouldn't you?) who don't speak the lingo or know the systems.   We make an effort to help ( Some could do far more to integrate, in fairness).

But - with or without your aproval, these are well intended, helpful things done to improve the life of our fellow Oldhamers - regardless of if they fit into your personal world view.    If successful, everyone benefits.

That funsding is over 2 years as well.

In contrast, as I mentioned elsewhere, "we"  as nation have sert up a system to give Morrisons in Chadderton, Adsa in Shaw and Tesco in Westwood more than twice that (£750K or so) every single year.    In the form of means tested welfare to their underpaid staff who can't get along on their wages alone.   There will be lots of other firms around here who have full time, permanent staff who qualify for means tested welfare.

What do we get back from those private, profit focused, (allegedly) commercial companies.   How on earth can they be permitted to declare profits and dividends on the trading they do, when "we" underwrite their P&L via welfare.

If councillors are not doing work like this (or enabling it)  who will?    Or should it not be done at all?!?  How will that help anything?

We are a wealthy country (hence the £20+ million spent this weekend pandering to the whims of an already wealthy family) so what is the problem?   

If we are not wealthy, and can't afford £300K per annum to improve an impoverished, divided borough then perhaps we should discuss all the things - big, substantive and realistic thikngs - that could increase our collective wealth (collect taxes due, stop HMRC sweetheart deals, review council tax valuations)  and all the things - big, mega£££ things - that we should not be spending money on (Trident, vast schemes to bully the poor, hybrid public/private industry that nationalises losses but privatises profits - see roads, rail, utilities, mail, NHS, education etc etc )

#38 18.May.18 09:57:19

Philpot
Banned

Barleycorn wrote:
Philpot wrote:

Whatever your view of the specific projects involved - that is how our country works at local level.   

We fund things through councillor led initiatives, matched HLF/LA funding, bids to the ACE, grants from govt depts,  etc etc.

We import workers to do jobs "we" dont like to do - or cant do.    These people bring folks with them (wouldn't you?) who don't speak the lingo or know the systems.   We make an effort to help ( Some could do far more to integrate, in fairness).

But - with or without your aproval, these are well intended, helpful things done to improve the life of our fellow Oldhamers - regardless of if they fit into your personal world view.    If successful, everyone benefits.

In contrast, as I mentioned elsewhere, "we"  as nation have sert up a system to give Morrisons in Chadderton, Adsa in Shaw and Tesco in Westwood more than twice that (£750K or so) every single year.    In the form of means tested welfare to their underpaid staff who can't get along on their wages alone.   There will be lots of other firms around here who have full time, permanent staff who qualify for means tested welfare.

What do we get back from those private, profit focused, (allegedly) commercial companies.   How on earth can they be permitted to declare profits and dividends on the trading they do, when "we" underwrite their P&L via welfare.

If councillors are not doing work like this (or enabling it)  who will?    Or should it not be done at all?!?  How will that help anything?

We are a wealthy country (hence the £20+ million spent this weekend pandering to the whims of an already wealthy family) so what is the problem?   

If we are not wealthy, and can't afford £300K per annum to improve an impoverished, divided borough then perhaps we should discuss all the things - big, substantive and realistic thikngs - that could increase our collective wealth (collect taxes due, stop HMRC sweetheart deals, review council tax valuations)  and all the things - big, mega£££ things - that we should not be spending money on (Trident, vast schemes to bully the poor, hybrid public/private industry that nationalises losses but privatises profits - see roads, rail, utilities, mail, NHS, education etc etc )

A couple of interesting jobs created by the council here

Principle Emerging Communities Manager. Salary £50k +

And Senior Intelligence Analysts. Salary £49k+

How does our resident disgruntled nurse fell about that I wonder?

Both jobs created to deal with the ‘problems caused by high migration’ into the area

The problems, according to the council, include community cohesion, community tensions, challenges within schools, overcrowding, crime, anti social behaviour and general neighbourhood management

So Barleycorn, were any of your friends from the TUC protest march that you attended Principle Emerging Communities Managers or senior Intelligence Analysts ??

#39 18.May.18 10:31:46

Penguin

Sounds like the council have recognised a problem and are recruiting the personnel to address this.... It's what I'd expect the council to do!

The salaries may look high, but they are about the average for this type of senior management level job.

Oh Brilliant!  big_smile

#40 18.May.18 13:58:17

Barleycorn

Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:
Philpot wrote:

Both jobs created to deal with the ‘problems caused by high migration’ into the area

The problems, according to the council, include community cohesion, community tensions, challenges within schools, overcrowding, crime, anti social behaviour and general neighbourhood management

So Barleycorn, were any of your friends from the TUC protest march that you attended Principle Emerging Communities Managers or senior Intelligence Analysts ??

I don't know. Quite possibly. 

One thing I did notice - there were a quite a few incidents of 1970's style wolf whistles and boorish, catcalling misogynistic pestering from roadside workers and adjacent builders, shopfitters etc.   It was odd, and rather sad to see - they took time out of their busy 'grafting' to leer at the females walking past.   sad sad sad   

They seemed in need of some guidance from their (CSCS weilding) site management - and telling cr*p like that isn't acceptable in a decent society - even from a #30 per hour, hard working,  skilled worker in a booming sector.   Perhaps it wasn't covered at their various site inductions.

Last edited by Barleycorn (18.May.18 13:59:25)

#41 18.May.18 15:11:11

Philpot
Banned

Barleycorn wrote:
Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:

One thing I did notice - there were a quite a few incidents of 1970's style wolf whistles and boorish, catcalling misogynistic pestering from roadside workers and adjacent builders, shopfitters etc.   It was odd, and rather sad to see - they took time out of their busy 'grafting' to leer at the females walking past.   sad sad sad   

They seemed in need of some guidance from their (CSCS weilding) site management - and telling cr*p like that isn't acceptable in a decent society - even from a #30 per hour, hard working,  skilled worker in a booming sector.   Perhaps it wasn't covered at their various site inductions.

Has your sneering contempt for the working class man been ever more palpable?

Your comments are typical of a swivel eyed champagne socialist, filled with hatred and foul mouthed bile for the hard working men and women of our nation

Surely that is not the real you Barleycorn

#42 18.May.18 15:46:15

Barleycorn

ops  ops

#43 18.May.18 16:52:05

Erin

Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:
Philpot wrote:

One thing I did notice - there were a quite a few incidents of 1970's style wolf whistles and boorish, catcalling misogynistic pestering from roadside workers and adjacent builders, shopfitters etc.   It was odd, and rather sad to see - they took time out of their busy 'grafting' to leer at the females walking past.   :( :( :(   

Your comments are typical of a swivel eyed champagne socialist, filled with hatred and foul mouthed bile for the hard working men and women of our nation

Thank goodness the building industry is booming at the moment, when houses and other dwellings are being constructed it has a knock on effect for other businesses ie white goods, carpets and floor coverings, curtains, blinds, furniture and electrical goods and most of these are bought in the local vicinity.

#44 18.May.18 17:04:28

ridge walker

Well, from a decent topic it decends into unfreindly remarks,  we can accept the reply as they will be seen through for what they are, but the above should have been left unsaid, its where these topics can lead, no need to say anything more it there in the open, some one let themselves down here, its how fights start ka pow. KO

#45 18.May.18 17:44:51

Philpot
Banned

Erin wrote:
Philpot wrote:
Barleycorn wrote:

Thank goodness the building industry is booming at the moment, when houses and other dwellings are being constructed it has a knock on effect for other businesses ie white goods, carpets and floor coverings, curtains, blinds, furniture and electrical goods and most of these are bought in the local vicinity.

Quite right Erin, well said

The construction industry has always been the heart beat of the Great  British economy

A healthy construction industry = prosperity for the UK

#46 18.May.18 17:50:08

Barleycorn

Philpot wrote:
Erin wrote:
Philpot wrote:

Quite right Erin, well said

The construction industry has always been the heart beat of the Great  British economy

A healthy construction industry = prosperity for the UK

Prosperity for some, anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 … elp-to-buy

''Housebuilder Persimmon’s award of a £75m bonus to its chief executive, Jeff Fairburn, was “almost unfathomable”, the housing minister, Dominic Raab, has told MPs. Persimmon faced fierce criticism earlier this year after it emerged that a rise in profits, which has been attributed to the taxpayer-backed help-to-buy scheme, would trigger more than £2oom in bonuses for three executives.''

One housebuilder = 200million in bonuses between three people.  Where is the cash coming from ....'help to buy'

Now there is a taxpayer funded scheme to ask financial questions about Philpot...   

When a even tory ideolog like Rabb is critical, there must be an issue...

#47 18.May.18 18:21:01

Philpot
Banned

ridge walker wrote:

Well, from a decent topic it decends into unfreindly remarks,  we can accept the reply as they will be seen through for what they are, but the above should have been left unsaid, its where these topics can lead, no need to say anything more it there in the open, some one let themselves down here, its how fights start ka pow. KO

Quite right too Ridge walker. I totally agree that Barleycorns foul mouth rant was both uncalled for, unnecessary and completely wrong

Sadly we see this all the time from the hard left whenever they lose in debate

#48 19.May.18 15:06:54

ridge walker

May have been hasty, but hate stuff like this that become 'heated' both of you compliment each other and i like reading both, if you fall out it will mean i will skip over to Tony and Milly, Exile and Rebel, Mags and Tabby, Cracker and Erin, Penguin, SG,  were not short of good interesting posters who dont start a row, seperate schools was a good idea.

#49 19.May.18 16:07:32

exile

Separate forums for one of ‘em Ridge

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#50 19.May.18 18:34:06

ridge walker

On a day like today, its not one  for anything other than nice to one another, loved every minute of this wedding and every repeat viewing, the weather has been superb, every detail suberb, and were still watching, no idea whats happening with the FA Cup,  i dont want to see anyone banned  as each have so much talent, just needs managing and all will be fine.

Board footer