No adult jokes please... my Mother reads this website!

You are not logged in.

#1 12.Jul.18 10:20:11

Tabbycat

It's raining!

......and I definitely heard a collective sigh of relief from my plants.

I've just been out to have a look and everything has perked up. Plants that looked half dead are upright again looking towards the sky. Magic.

I may be able to stop topping up the water bowl we put out among the undergrowth for the thirsty animals too.

And the guys on the moors will definitely breathe a sigh of relief.

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#2 12.Jul.18 14:45:46

ridge walker

Re: It's raining!

It was very welcome when it started and persisted and got heavier, i even went out with an umbrella but it stopped for the market now its warm again,  The Daily Mail on its front page no drinking water can be used on gardens or for washing cars and everyone has to use grey water and that collected in tubs off the roof, it has to be the future way of doing things ha ha.

#3 12.Jul.18 15:48:08

Tony

Didn't last very long but tomorrow could bring some beefy showers.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

#4 12.Jul.18 18:53:35

LittleRach

Yay! Although coming home tonight it was REALLY humid

Though we cannot make our sun stand still, yet we will make him run.

#5 13.Jul.18 09:13:31

ridge walker

Good morning, last nights rain continues today and we may get thunderstorms later then a return to warm weather, the effect of this has been startling as not only has the  fishing ponds water been refreshed its level has increased 2 inches since the day before, if this continues at the same rate in will overflow by weekend, i have refered to this earlier how the pond can recover itself from empty to full within a week with little appearance where the water is coming from such is its nature and ability to collect rain from all the surrounding land.   A small example of this is the way water runs down the street away from the curbs missing the drainage grids, sweeping up the fallen leaves on the way then blocking the final ironwork at the bottom, water then rises over the curbs and down the banking to flood the ponds surround, so i have to clear this soon and repeatedly so before damage is done and the larger area where leaves collect as they too will be swept down to once again block the single grid that takes the water away, who else does this.... now an idea has just occured to me, build an overflow into the pond  from the grid, the point the water runs down the bank,  verses not doing anything and repairing any damage- time+cost+labour all will have to be calculated, any planning and surveying, obtaining materials, erecting barriers and temporary traffic lights, setting up a diversion route and waymarking.... it all adds up.... why me !

Do you know i joined this forum in June 2008, posted over 12,000 times like the one above in that time, far fewer than  the scanty one liners from Rebel in the same period,   where is he now ? AWOL thats where while i carry on, has he burnt out too soon, i wish him well and send my regards his record is supreme, just a thought for our fellow travellers on eRoyton past or present.

#6 13.Jul.18 09:56:24

Tabbycat

Happy Anniversary to you, Ridge, and to all you eRoytoners who were here at the beginning.
I thought I'd have a look when I joined and it was July 13th 2011 so it's 7 years to the exact day since I joined! smile

Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

#7 13.Jul.18 10:24:01

Tony

Happy Anniversary to you both  smile
Methinks the troll Philpot is the reason Rebel isn't posting anymore Ridge!!

Last edited by Tony (13.Jul.18 10:25:19)

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

#8 14.Jul.18 02:47:42

Mags

I didn’t realise but I joined September 2008, just after you Ridge. Doesn’t time fly?

#9 14.Jul.18 08:31:42

ridge walker

It does Mags and it can be alarmiming to think back then SG & James were single men in their 20's so were others and very prolific in their postings, i think SG did a survey of avarage ages of our members and the majority were under 30.

As for the weather, last evening it was more like a monsoon as i dashed to shut all the doors and windows, i watched the river of water running down the street and water pouring off my roof with such force it missed the gutter and fell like a waterfall onto the front garden- i need to do something this morning to fix this as i had to clear up after the rain that morning finding the down pipe grids all full of grit and blocked, at least i know my gutters are clean, it was only a short time ago i cleaned them out & mentioned it, on the news today they report this is world wide and the effect has a name, not almino but something like it and evidence of climate warming, once again i will be clearing up, not been down to the pond yet but it only needed another rise of 2 inches to start overflowing so i expect that to be the case, i discovered a large tree branch heavy with leaves had broken away from a tree some 20 feet long and 3 inches thick so that had to be removed, all due to the weight of water, made a mess of that as it tore a strip of bark off so will need a ladder to clean that up, i suppose we will all have jobs like that to to do today in some form, hanging flower baskets must have been wrecked.

Its estimated for lawns to recover allow 6 weeks- thats September before their green again, a visit to Shaw and the big Lamp was really brown but nothing like as bad as the lawns around their War Memorial, they were really in a bad way, all due to their last mowing when temperatures reached 30c, must have been the maximum it could take and they all turned brown overnight, no watering with sprinklers could prevent it so i stopped trying after recently sowing new grass seed after clearing the moss not 5 minutes ago, possibly several months now but we were so wet and waterlogged back then, time does fly.

#10 14.Jul.18 14:03:06

Mags

I’ll always remember Jataal and him chatting up the girls. So funny.

#11 14.Jul.18 14:05:43

Mags

I think the average age range will be more now. I’ll be eighty next year, possibly one of the oldest.

#12 14.Jul.18 16:52:52

ridge walker

I think that too Mags, the younger ones were all drunk or on drugs and went over to facebook with their smart phones, too much for me this technical stuff and texting all the time when they go to school, non of them had a job or did a days work either- party party party necking it down and taking no notice of their elders, out all night dancing while we were asleep by 10, worn out earning a living, funny how they all turned out and never got arrested or sent to jail, all that preying must have worked then, i think your great Mags all that cycling and keeping fit really shows, puts these young one to shame eating all the pies and drinking Peroni, well i suppose their still part of our family and we still love them whatever they do,  no metal so must be remainers.            Stands back in amazement i wrote that.

#13 16.Jul.18 21:53:49

Erin

I enjoyed listening to the rain this evening, we certainly need it. smile  Wonder how many downpours it will take to restore our gardens and lawns?

#14 17.Jul.18 08:56:46

exile

We had a day of gentle rain yesterday just perfect as that gives it time to soak in and not just run off.  I think you will find the lawns come back pretty quick but plants that are wilting might give up till next year.

Ridge, naughty, naughty, I think I detected a political comment at the end of you post.  mad   You know that those comments are verboten    lol

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#15 17.Jul.18 14:35:11

ridge walker

To be honest, i dont understand that last line- no metal must be remainers- what could that be.... predictive typing as i cant remember saying that, hands up not a clue, but i was making fun  of our imerging talent we had back then, anyway if it was me and not a prankster i would admit it, very strange, forgot why i clicked on this topic now, just a moment let me think.....

Ah yes i remember, United Utillities have announced a hosepipe ban from the 5th August, they just need to put things in place, the news item showed lancashire reservoirs already empty and critics say they lose a quarter of all water to leaking pipes, renewing all that would be very disruptive, they point out the CEO is paid £2.3 m per annum as if that mattered, i think back to earlier bans when they diverted water from one area to another to produce evidence of cracking mud in drained reservoirs  so the pictures made the public turn their taps off, it was staged to look worse than it was, how true or false that was is not known but if they are empty our water should have been rationed months ago on a minimax system that  means we never run out, plus the fact car wash businesses are allowed to continue using all the water they need, as does industry so whats the truth, more recently tankers were  taking water by road to areas that had low levels so that cant be faked can it.....well yes it can.

#16 18.Jul.18 08:06:07

ridge walker

UU stated water levels are now at 67%, normally it would be 81% at this time of the year, so they are taking this measure now, northern Ireland has already done so but no where else, they also said they have introduced 3 hosepipe bans over the last 22 years which surprises me- it feels like an annual event to me, so why were pictures of Edgeworth reservoir nr Bolton shown in such a shocking condition?

They then went to Ullswater where similar conditions apply- this has a dround village emerging from the waters, the same at Derwent water in the Peak District and that nearer home  at Wardle, done for dramatic effect, Manchesters pipes water from Thirlmere direct into Albert Sq, and from Windermere so whats going on here, we all recognise its not rained for 3 months and we all save water if we can,  small things like turning the tap off when brushing teeth,  it may only save a small amount of 1-2% or even 5-10% if we  are talking to the newsmen, I'm on a meter- the more i use the more i pay or in their speak the less i use the less i pay so thats why i'm on a meter as its expensive, you dont get a refund so why the ban on hosepipes that makes it easier than carrying buckets about, we still use the same amount over a longer period without the effort, when were doing our bit, be sensible just save as much as you can, simple really to understand.

I still dont know how Exiles complaint came about, i never used those words and believe its been added in some way, is this possible other than any action SG could perform but in this case extremely unlikely as he makes the rules, i cant even think what the alternative comment would have been if it was mis-spelt,  there has been instances where a trigger word automatically alters the text but i dismiss that also, i give up and if anyone thinks i did, well i'm sorry it wasnt funny enough.

#17 18.Jul.18 09:48:00

exile

Let it go Ridge, no one thinks you were being political it was just me poking the tiger.   smile

While we are on water I get a letter this morning -  how much has that cost to all their consumers -  from Dwr Cymru our not for profit water board.  It explains that they have been prudent enough to save water in the winter and for the moment at least there is no problem with supplies.  GREAT.  Then they give me suggestions how I can save water and number three on the list is :-  mend any leaks.  Dwr Cymru ( Welsh Water ). Like all other water companies has leaks unmended all over the shop.  There is one down the road been running for three years at least. 

This is like the MPs squabbling amongst themselves about Brexit and mainly for personal gain.

who is bigger Mr Bigger or Mr Biggers son ? the son he is a little Bigger

#18 18.Jul.18 10:41:33

Woody

exile wrote:

Let it go Ridge, no one thinks you were being political it was just me poking the tiger.   smile

While we are on water I get a letter this morning -  how much has that cost to all their consumers -  from Dwr Cymru our not for profit water board.  It explains that they have been prudent enough to save water in the winter and for the moment at least there is no problem with supplies.  GREAT.  Then they give me suggestions how I can save water and number three on the list is :-  mend any leaks.  Dwr Cymru ( Welsh Water ). Like all other water companies has leaks unmended all over the shop.  There is one down the road been running for three years at least. 

This is like the MPs squabbling amongst themselves about Brexit and mainly for personal gain.

In this mornings press United Utilities lose  430 Million Litres a day (Yes I Checked a day Million) through Leakage when you look at leaks just after Christmas on Rochdale Road near Fir Bank one ran for nearly four weeks,

And in the Bolton/Saddleworth area millions of Litres were Pumped Air lifted by Helicopter to fight the Moorland Fires on Holmfirth, Belmont, & Winter Hill,

I would if I could but I can't,

#19 18.Jul.18 21:29:22

ridge walker

Has the world gone nuts ! i was thinking, outside my house they have built a storm tank- you may know what that is and whats it for, it stores water thats not been used, it comes from rainfall and runs down drains, into a pipe and ends up in this tank where its left a while, it gets dirty so its filtered then released into a brook, that leads to a river and fish swim in it, after a long journey it reaches the sea, its now full of plastic and chemicals and the fish die, what a waste of time and money,  we could use this water for the garden or washing the car on a return pipeline to your house and you can store it for later use in a bucket or larger container like a pond and put fish in it, i say pond as i'm posh it could just be any old hole or a mine shaft if you have one handy, be self sufficiant, think outside the box or tank, think planet, save the whale, ok wheres my coat, going for a walk.

Board footer