Please read the rules. If in any doubt email iloveroyton@gmail.com

You are not logged in.


China Girl

#301 25.May.18 00:20:44

Tabbycat
Member

Re: Round and about.

Thanks, Woody smile


Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

Offline

#302 25.May.18 07:44:48

Philpot
Banned

Re: Round and about.

Tony wrote:
Tabbycat wrote:
Tony wrote:

It's been discussed on here Tabby, it's a way marker or beacon for aircraft there is another down at Balderstone that has been there for a few years.

I must have missed that. Who's right then? Tony or Philpot?

I didn't comment on what it is Tabby, I think it was Woody or Ridge that discussed it a while back, Ridge or Woody will confirm no doubt.

Yes you did. You wrongly claimed “it's a way marker or beacon for aircraft there is another down at Balderstone that has been there for a few years.”

Offline

#303 25.May.18 08:06:02

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

Not going to disagree if theres a label on it, not what i i was told it was and what i have been telling people ever since when people ask i have convinced myself as there under flight paths and made sense, what i want to know is how can such  mono pods- if that the name of these masts be errected without anyone knowing or talking about it, even if the regulations allow them its too big not to mention it, this town is poorly served for information like this and untill we see a more active reporting system from the town hall it will remain open to speculation and members like Woody, is it right that we have to search the internet and post photos  to explain everything  or to discover whats happening in our own town centre when we have council officers working nearby, if this is not part of their duties what use are they to the public, the entire project is now under scrutiny what the town hall is for, not the uses we can find for it to justify the cost or fill the space.

Offline

#304 25.May.18 09:57:02

Tabbycat
Member

Re: Round and about.

Philpot, must we have petty He said she said scenarios? You make yourself look like a petulant child.
I have the information I need so now can we let it drop?

Thank you.


Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

Offline

#305 25.May.18 12:07:12

Woody
Member

Re: Round and about.

The weekend it was erected it had a Vodaphone sticker on it unless its been peeled off by vandals ?


I would if I could but I can't,

Offline

#306 25.May.18 12:15:07

Tabbycat
Member

Re: Round and about.

Woody wrote:

The weekend it was erected it had a Vodaphone sticker on it unless its been peeled off by vandals ?

I only saw it from the car, Woody. It may well have still had stickers on it smile


Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

Offline

#307 25.May.18 14:33:22

Woody
Member

Re: Round and about.

Tabbycat wrote:
Woody wrote:

The weekend it was erected it had a Vodaphone sticker on it unless its been peeled off by vandals ?

I only saw it from the car, Woody. It may well have still had stickers on it smile




Passed this afternoon about 1-30 there is a sticker on all the three equipment cabinets and one on the pole at head height with Contact numbers for emergency's to Vodaphone, tummenupp


I would if I could but I can't,

Offline

#308 25.May.18 16:35:36

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

When i saw the cabinets on the pavement edge before the pole came, they had no identity or markings, i posted this at the time, later these cabinets were painted green but the pole is grey, green may be the standard colour like the boxes for mail or those for cables  for telephone and traffic light controls= street furnature.

Offline

#309 31.May.18 14:21:52

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

Streetbridge should re-open to traffic on Saturday 2nd June, they will be resurfacing the road tomorrow in the same area done last time, its in two section plus each side of the pavement where the pipe crossed road near the bridge, a tarmac worker arrived to measure the areas but it was another company from the last one as it was left a bit rough- more like a washing board.

Now this chap drove through the road closuresigns and barriers after trying to drive through Chadderton Fold, Heald Green and Crag Road, as Streetbridge was deserted no harm was done, the Horton Arms was closed off and the access was from Middleton Road with the diversion up Broadway to Shaw Road End then into Royton via the Railway Hotel, as i walked back to the Church car park on Mill Brow i heard a car horn sounding and looking back a pick up truck with ladders on the back had driven through 2 sets of barriers fixed across the road, only a narrow pavement gap was left open and at Buckley Wood it was high mesh fencing which was taken down, they then came up through the barriers at Cragg Road but got ahead of me and entered Chadderton Hall Road at the traffic lights, its crasy what goes on.  Awarning sign here gives the dates of the closure from the 26th May to 1st June.

With the children being on holiday Chadderton Park had a big bouncy castle and all of  the road past the park to Haigh  Lane was parked up, this prevented 2 way traffic but some tried untill large trucks and vans with no obstructions on there side of the road heading for middleton forced them to stop with no escape route, this problem first occured when the cafe was opened, and a small layby parking bay built, despite a car park being at the rear, the owners were already destroying the grass verge bringing in supplies as a gate was on the pavement, this was discussed for months and this is the result, we even held meeting there and as you know it was a bowls pavilion before, it really highlights how bad this situation is in a blue flag park with the parks department having staff based here.  This road carries HGV traffic and  heavy vehicles up to Elk Mill past a area packed with children visiting its attractions and play ground, its a shocking example of highway planning.

Offline

#310 31.May.18 14:36:32

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

Not Royton that last para so i wont mention the crowds attending Lancaster Farm petting facillity that clogged up the bus and parking area, Mills Hill was in chaos around the canal bridge and the traffic lights, good grief i sound like i was never young once but i take things easy let it all happen and then think everyones mad to put up with it.

Offline

#311 31.May.18 15:03:19

Tabbycat
Member

Re: Round and about.

Good to see the farm is so successful. However I don't think I could cope with all those people so I'll give it a miss for a while .


Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

Offline

#312 01.Jun.18 11:52:27

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

The RESURF tarmac company deposited it machines on streetbridge but no one was seen, no men or tarmac had shown up this morning upto 10-30 am, a workman from the pipe company was there using the water hydrant on the pavement but he had not seen anyone, his mates were working further away had made another excavation at the second Irk crossing and  were  making adjustments to the valves, they had two large excavator machines there, however i was shown a section of pipe which had moulded grooves in the big end that took the rubber seals, but the main interest was the pipe is lined with concrete on the inside so together the pipe is over 1inch thick, they can cut the pipe into smaller lengths as in these repairs  in a few minutes using hand tools with diamond cutting discs fitted, then bolted collers on both ends can be drawn together to make the joint secure in this situation, it appeared both this workman and the others were talking to each other to test the structure via smart phone.  i must have counted at least 20 vehicles trying to drive through Streetbridge past the barriers and signs then have to return back again, how funny is that.... very strange goings on... now where were the tarmac gang...... and i noticed the road is scored by these tracked machines ripping up the surface, not all have rubber pads fitted to the steel tracks, made a right mess again.

Offline

#313 02.Jun.18 14:56:03

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

All done yesterday and signs and barriers removed so the roads open again, that was the 4th closure of the road- if its not up to scratch  dont hesitate to inform us and we can all have a splutter  and a foot stomp.  As Royton was effected this post has passed the rules test, if not please  disregard.

Offline

#314 02.Jun.18 15:36:50

Erin
Member

Re: Round and about.

Thank goodness the road is open again, I have felt that I lived on a one-way system route for the last eighteen months.  Can we hope that this may be the end of the closures of Streetbridge??

Offline

#315 02.Jun.18 17:55:01

Penguin
Member

Re: Round and about.

Hooray... I might be able to get home from work without getting stuck on the A627M slip road next week!


Oh Brilliant!  big_smile

Offline

#316 19.Jun.18 14:52:14

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

Took a walk round to see how things are getting on, first Sally B's on the precinct, is still shuttered up after at least 3 months, roof work has taken place but the inside is just work in progress or at least on a random few hours a week doing a bit of DIY, theres nothing to see when the shutters are up or when the back doors open to get excited about so no hurry then.

Next was the building on Chapel Street, its at a standstill, so much for the economic building company claims for the Youth Club conversion into a medical centre, it must be dreadful for the residents to have to endure this, clearly its had problems but this cant continue like this, it looks abandoned and never appeared as if there was intent in the project from the start, its really embarrasing now visiting my doctors, its them who need a check up not us.

The work on Radcliffe Street and Byron Street has produced nothing since Woody reported contractors had arrived, this was months ago and all they did was rip out the new timber rails that surrounded the 3 sites and piled them into heaps, then surrounded the sites with wire mesh fence panels and did a bit of digging, again its abandoned and left to grow wild so whats the story this time, this is a shambles for such important projects even if exploritory work needed to be done, why turn them into such shocking eyesores in the town centre and just walk away leaving them in this state.

The Baths park car on Byron Street is always full and 6 months ago an electrical box situated at the pavement edge was knocked over and ripped from its fixings, its still lying on the ground with ticker tape around it with the cables exposed, again why has it not been fixed and made secure again, the towns gone nuts if this is the way things are left, and while were at it who is supposed to be caring for the stonework display and its planting, its full of weeds 4 feet high (thistles) surely it had a budget for this in its construction ?

Next is the Town Hall, it pains me to see this now without any sign the project is underway six months into the new year, not after the saga of the Assembly Hall and the derelect Old Health Centre that blights the precinct, so its for sale and being actively pursued but this is a scandle from the council, our entire town centre is surrounded by rot and  decay and no ones gives a damn when any of these will see progress made any time soon,  have you all gone to sleep and given up caring ?

The saga of the Dog and Partridge PH on Middleton Road continues to plague the district and the land nearby facing the Vine Mill, a few weeks ago a group of fellows spent the day putting stouttimber posts around the site, still piled high with unsightly festoring rubbish that had been delivered there, not the rubbish they made from gutting the building, now it has wire mesh fencing fixed to the posts with the filth still behind it, what in gods name is going on and why is it tolerated, dont say its in private ownership and nothing we can do, this is a disgrace to our town on a main highway, close to residential property, someone needs their heads banging together if this is acceptable to them.  As for the Vine site- what on earths going on there, whats the surprise waiting for us this time.

Offline

#317 20.Jun.18 07:48:15

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

Surprising this,  glad i did not expand the thread and include other areas not on my walkabout, to show how out of touch i am with the topics i have only just discovered Oldham Athletic Football Club has a new owner and a new manager, the owner came in 6 months ago and no one has mentioned it or the change in the clubs manager, wasnt Frankie Bunn a club player and ex manager and also one of its 'legends'   what more is missing from the Talk about Royton  pages that now appears a lost art since all comments have been transfered over to facebook and members stopped using it,  it reminds me of the time someone said all the above are plain to see by those with eyes in the head, why comment on it all the time, if thats the case nothing is of any importance anymore as far as the towns concerned as we all can see for ourselves whats happening  so dont need a commentary,  another said its all about what people are doing, family stuff and holidays or the weather, where they have been and what they have seen- do we need to know..... well its been interesting so far  but is it coming to the end, it feels like it to me.

Offline

#318 20.Jun.18 09:52:36

Tabbycat
Member

Re: Round and about.

I really wish someone would do something with the old health centre site. As you say, Ridge, it's a blight on the town and one of the first things folk see when they are passing through.


Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

Offline

#319 20.Jun.18 11:36:48

Barleycorn
Member

Re: Round and about.

ridge walker wrote:

Took a walk round to see how things are getting on, first Sally B's on the precinct, is still shuttered up after at least 3 months, roof work has taken place but the inside is just work in progress or at least on a random few hours a week doing a bit of DIY, theres nothing to see when the shutters are up or when the back doors open to get excited about so no hurry then.

Next was the building on Chapel Street, its at a standstill, so much for the economic building company claims for the Youth Club conversion into a medical centre, it must be dreadful for the residents to have to endure this, clearly its had problems but this cant continue like this, it looks abandoned and never appeared as if there was intent in the project from the start, its really embarrasing now visiting my doctors, its them who need a check up not us.

The work on Radcliffe Street and Byron Street has produced nothing since Woody reported contractors had arrived, this was months ago and all they did was rip out the new timber rails that surrounded the 3 sites and piled them into heaps, then surrounded the sites with wire mesh fence panels and did a bit of digging, again its abandoned and left to grow wild so whats the story this time, this is a shambles for such important projects even if exploritory work needed to be done, why turn them into such shocking eyesores in the town centre and just walk away leaving them in this state.

The Baths park car on Byron Street is always full and 6 months ago an electrical box situated at the pavement edge was knocked over and ripped from its fixings, its still lying on the ground with ticker tape around it with the cables exposed, again why has it not been fixed and made secure again, the towns gone nuts if this is the way things are left, and while were at it who is supposed to be caring for the stonework display and its planting, its full of weeds 4 feet high (thistles) surely it had a budget for this in its construction ?

Next is the Town Hall, it pains me to see this now without any sign the project is underway six months into the new year, not after the saga of the Assembly Hall and the derelect Old Health Centre that blights the precinct, so its for sale and being actively pursued but this is a scandle from the council, our entire town centre is surrounded by rot and  decay and no ones gives a damn when any of these will see progress made any time soon,  have you all gone to sleep and given up caring ?

The saga of the Dog and Partridge PH on Middleton Road continues to plague the district and the land nearby facing the Vine Mill, a few weeks ago a group of fellows spent the day putting stouttimber posts around the site, still piled high with unsightly festoring rubbish that had been delivered there, not the rubbish they made from gutting the building, now it has wire mesh fencing fixed to the posts with the filth still behind it, what in gods name is going on and why is it tolerated, dont say its in private ownership and nothing we can do, this is a disgrace to our town on a main highway, close to residential property, someone needs their heads banging together if this is acceptable to them.  As for the Vine site- what on earths going on there, whats the surprise waiting for us this time.


All valid points.  Half started projects are a blight across the region, tbh.


I went through ALL your posts, found nothing,

Offline

#320 20.Jun.18 12:37:54

Erin
Member

Re: Round and about.

Barleycorn wrote:
ridge walker wrote:

Took a walk round to see how things are getting on, first Sally B's on the precinct, is still shuttered up after at least 3 months, roof work has taken place but the inside is just work in progress or at least on a random few hours a week doing a bit of DIY, theres nothing to see when the shutters are up or when the back doors open to get excited about so no hurry then.

Next was the building on Chapel Street, its at a standstill, so much for the economic building company claims for the Youth Club conversion into a medical centre, it must be dreadful for the residents to have to endure this, clearly its had problems but this cant continue like this, it looks abandoned and never appeared as if there was intent in the project from the start, its really embarrasing now visiting my doctors, its them who need a check up not us.

The work on Radcliffe Street and Byron Street has produced nothing since Woody reported contractors had arrived, this was months ago and all they did was rip out the new timber rails that surrounded the 3 sites and piled them into heaps, then surrounded the sites with wire mesh fence panels and did a bit of digging, again its abandoned and left to grow wild so whats the story this time, this is a shambles for such important projects even if exploritory work needed to be done, why turn them into such shocking eyesores in the town centre and just walk away leaving them in this state.

The Baths park car on Byron Street is always full and 6 months ago an electrical box situated at the pavement edge was knocked over and ripped from its fixings, its still lying on the ground with ticker tape around it with the cables exposed, again why has it not been fixed and made secure again, the towns gone nuts if this is the way things are left, and while were at it who is supposed to be caring for the stonework display and its planting, its full of weeds 4 feet high (thistles) surely it had a budget for this in its construction ?

Next is the Town Hall, it pains me to see this now without any sign the project is underway six months into the new year, not after the saga of the Assembly Hall and the derelect Old Health Centre that blights the precinct, so its for sale and being actively pursued but this is a scandle from the council, our entire town centre is surrounded by rot and  decay and no ones gives a damn when any of these will see progress made any time soon,  have you all gone to sleep and given up caring ?

The saga of the Dog and Partridge PH on Middleton Road continues to plague the district and the land nearby facing the Vine Mill, a few weeks ago a group of fellows spent the day putting stouttimber posts around the site, still piled high with unsightly festoring rubbish that had been delivered there, not the rubbish they made from gutting the building, now it has wire mesh fencing fixed to the posts with the filth still behind it, what in gods name is going on and why is it tolerated, dont say its in private ownership and nothing we can do, this is a disgrace to our town on a main highway, close to residential property, someone needs their heads banging together if this is acceptable to them.  As for the Vine site- what on earths going on there, whats the surprise waiting for us this time.


All valid points.  Half started projects are a blight across the region, tbh.



^^^This^^^


When will we see progress on any of the outstanding work in progress sites??  It just makes our home town look neglected and tatty. sad

Offline

#321 20.Jun.18 14:10:52

Tony
Member

Re: Round and about.

Tabbycat wrote:

I really wish someone would do something with the old health centre site. As you say, Ridge, it's a blight on the town and one of the first things folk see when they are passing through.

I'm not sure who now owns the site, is it still Tristan Capital Partners and Addington Capital who purchased it when Brookwide went into administration ? Whoever it is will struggle in the current climate in the retail industry, they won't simply tarmac the area to extend the car park (no return in doing that) so I guess it will remain as it is indefinitely which is a long way from the proposed town centre revamp as in the photo below.
8zAAVBC.jpg


War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Offline

#322 20.Jun.18 14:45:05

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

There will be reasons we are not aware off for these delays, we were not the ones who made these decisions or annousments in such glowing terms as if they were already signed off and ready to go,  then when you enquire your told it subject to survey and design changes or its confidential between the developers or funding has not been confirmed, nothing of this appears in the newsletters only that they hope to start in a few months and mores to come, it discredits the authority when nothing happens after the fine words are spoken before a coming local election,  all the hard word  thats paying off under this administration,  well they certainly know how to keep their lips sealed afterwards, no longer a topic of choice when theres nothing to gain from it, no reason to keep resident up to date and informed if they dont ask, the less they know the better it is for them, no questions asked everyones happy.

Has the well dried up,  no ones curious to know and all will be reveald all in good time, be patient- these things take time.... well thats not in the script when they make headline news of it at the onset, do people still have faith  better days are round the corner, when all their left with are ashes...... no dont point to Lidl's and a few cameras or a bit of paint,  or the Wellbeing centre and the Leisure complex, look to today and tomorrow and those failed promises, thats the future.   Now i can report we have 11 nice baskets of flowers on the railings, and i notice we have a cocktail bar and lounge on Rochdale road, told you i dont get out much at night so things are on the up, i'm glad the Puckersley is having better times now and very busy, and the lights are still burning at the Halfway House after a number of false starts,  happy to see Bethesda is having a do between 11 and 2 this weekend as it deserves our support, i just wish there was more to tell of promising nature, anything is better than nothing, have a nice day... it rained this morning just as i went out mowing, had to run like mad before the game started = PM question time Ha Ha.

Offline

#323 20.Jun.18 15:21:44

Tabbycat
Member

Re: Round and about.

I think there should be legislation to say that unused land like that on the old health centre site should have to be landscaped until they decide what they're  doing with it.  At the expense of the owner of course.

Why should it be left boarded up like that? No one has any pride in their towns any more, except us who have to live in it.

Last edited by Tabbycat (20.Jun.18 15:23:37)


Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

Offline

#324 20.Jun.18 19:22:22

Tony
Member

Re: Round and about.

Good idea Tabby it would make them think twice before purchasing land and just leaving a pile of rubble.


War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Offline

#325 20.Jun.18 19:56:04

Woody
Member

Re: Round and about.

The chap who did the Marston up for Mazzo  and the Hairdressers was going to develop it he was given a land swap deal by OMBC and developed a site on Firbank Road,

But Morrisons were in the frame with a new store then to upgrade the whole Precint but it never happened so OMBC ended up stuck with it,

And Royton is not big enough to attract a major player/or the present Precint owners to extend it,

And after the recent business rates increase not a prime site to attract new Tenants has most things are represented,

And Boyes well very good but covers the whole spectrum hardware kitchen fabrics and household goods,

When the Precint opened in the 1970s you could not duplicate a business but anyone who can afford the rent and rates is welcome theses days,


I would if I could but I can't,

Offline

#326 21.Jun.18 09:03:16

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

While were talking about this example, has anyone asked a councillor for the explanation in the run up to the May election or at any time you have met with one, how many of us have attended a public community meeting and asked a question or attended a surgery of those who represent our wards for a quite word,  who thinks this should be widely publisised and made available in the library  or efforts made to get it into print in the 2 weekly newspapers, even if all are ruled out lets have that printed its not in their gift or pay scale to do this, who are these 'other' contacts they prefer to speak too and do they receive regular updates and information, are they sworn to secrecy and cannot share it with us.   Tony and Woody have peiced the parts together, James has stated the land is being actively marketed  but has not explained how or why the site came into public ownership or the reason is was boarded up and not brought into temporary use untill a new owner was found, remember this site was our contribution to the Dransfield plans and without it they would have been blocked, the deal with then owner was the solution that opened up the site to the full development, no alternative plan existed in case he rejected the offer to swop the land for another off less value i suspect, we never hear the truth of it, the idea the boarding up and its painting was their for a long duration and was an acceptable treatment to anyone other than those who decided to fence it off is not my idea of forward thinking, it goes to the heart of how things are done and as Barley points out it stretches across the region including our borough and those items i refered too earlier, each has a untold story and that raises my concern that non are being addressed or understood, are we not   entitled to answers without sneaking about in dark corners for a glimmer of light to come through the cracks.

Offline

#327 23.Jun.18 11:11:42

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

Forget to mention, Sally B's will open on Monday 25th June, about a dozen people were in there yesterday putting up menue signs, tables chairs and a counter are installed, looks more like a charity or a church business than a private one, may be wrong but explains why it took so long to set it up after the shop sign was fitted, no view of any kitchen or hot drinks  prep area as we were ushered out, we though everyone was a customer when we turned the corner, toasted teacakes and scones will be available Tony.

Offline

#328 23.Jun.18 12:58:53

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

You had a chance Ha Ha, Sally B is a late WW2 B17 flying fortress built after the war so became a display aircraft, not to be mistaken for the Memphis Belle the B17 4 engined bomber that completed several tours of duty during the war with a catastophic loss of american air crews- some 39,000 died over europes skies.

The cafe is called Shelly B's, being an aviator it was a mistake to play a joke on you,  Sally B stood in for the  Memphis Belle in the film of that name, so heavilly armoured without a huge payload the Lancaster outshone it in flattening german cities.

Offline

#329 23.Jun.18 13:09:08

Tony
Member

Re: Round and about.

lol We were too slow on the uptake there Ridge, hope the venture takes off.


War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Offline

#330 23.Jun.18 19:36:03

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

I hope so too, could be a nice little place to meet up in and have a chat, once the outside tables and a rope barrier goes up outside like Rumours bar has could be a gold mine,  dont think it will need outside tables that was a joke but i wish them luck whoever they are.

Offline

#331 04.Jul.18 19:43:31

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

Remember the United Utillities project in Royton, been a while but you may like to know the contractors have now cleared all its site cabins from the works and the workmen have moved to the upper site, mostly for the workers installing technical machinary, a few heavy plant operators are still here and working on the mound of earth and 2 cranes are at work that arrived a week ago, if anyone has driven along Burnley lane lately towards North Chadd' school you may have noticed the reinstatement of the large area of green space adjacent to the primary school its all been regraded edge to edge ready for grass seeding, looks wonderful since it was waterlogged and unfit to work on.

The Ram Mill lodge in Chadderton in now partially drained and attempts to remove fish continues using nets, photos taken of the site all the site has been cleared of surrounding trees and machines have worked all around the site, they have not been idle since the site was closed with 2 warehouses now under construction nearby, still no word who or why this happened or any official explanation,  but must go back gererations before when the bussiness park was established off Broadway with the closure of the power station and those iconic cooling towers. ( who remembers the big mouth during the demolition ? )

Offline

#332 18.Jul.18 12:00:41

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

I updated #331 on another thread but as i have picked up on issues discussed at the recent community forum which i am not familier with that go back months i have had a look at them, i only have the basics so you may know more so regard them as headings to an issue :

1, Childrens services have relocated a baby weighing clinic from our Wellbeing Centre  to a facility on Blackshaw Lane, babies up to 5 years old, however the move has upset the mothers as access is difficult, transport poor and their not happy, staff have tried to explain  without success, as an observer i dont see the problem, bung them on the kitchen scales or a device for suitcases when your flying, any angler will have scales and a big net to weigh the nippers in.

2, Remember the line of trees planted in Dogford Park that were sawn through, well they were taken out and the holes were filled in, weeds grow there now, they say they were planted in that location because the land was wet, must be something i missed when i reported it.

3,The delapidated garages near Fir Lane have all been removed now leaving a nice clean white concrete slab, last time i was there the area was covered in tree waste but its tidy now, at that time i was checking that monopole on the pavement for Vodaphone, the equipment is all labeled now.

4, Cemetary Road has been discussed as it is lined with old Ash trees planted in the pavement, its a feature of the road, theres approx 9 on each side upto 50ft high, all with bare trunks up to 20 ft with a girth of many feet, the pavements are all lifted and uneven so residents want them felled and the pavements repaired, back came the cost of £50 k but the parks tree fellers say there all healthy and wont cut them down= no money for such work.

5, Royton cemetary gates and railings have had a coat of green paint, the gates are damaged and twisted but covering the rust up looks better, as i entered i expected to see a compound on my right where tree waste had been chipped and shredded, i thought it was where the parks tree waste was being recycled, buts it now derelect, with a mountain of rubbish(floral tributes) stored at the far end, at the entrance to this space is an abandoned toilet block with steel gates- impression not so good then,  much like Chadderton cemetary in fact for neglect.
As you know many of the headstones were lowered but now its much better and at the far end is the extended section using the new method of burials, its all interesting if you look at their inscriptions.

6,  The new housing on Thorp Road nr the Paddock is now receiving welcome comments from local residents as they can now see how it will look as foundations are laid, is there evidence of this or is it only in the imagination, while in the area the condition of the building site on Chapel Street is not pretty, dont go there.

Offline

#333 18.Jul.18 16:10:59

Tabbycat
Member

Re: Round and about.

2, Remember the line of trees planted in Dogford Park that were sawn through, well they were taken out and the holes were filled in, weeds grow there now, they say they were planted in that location because the land was wet, must be something i missed when i reported it.

What happened to those trees was a tragedy. They were sawn off a couple at a time by, believe it or not, an adult who disliked trees.
I have been told  who the main suspect is too, but without proof nothing can be done.


Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

Offline

#334 18.Jul.18 16:14:47

Tabbycat
Member

Re: Round and about.

4, Cemetary Road has been discussed as it is lined with old Ash trees planted in the pavement, its a feature of the road, theres approx 9 on each side upto 50ft high, all with bare trunks up to 20 ft with a girth of many feet, the pavements are all lifted and uneven so residents want them felled and the pavements repaired, back came the cost of £50 k but the parks tree fellers say there all healthy and wont cut them down= no money for such work.

I'm glad they are not chopping them down. The pavement can be repaired without removing the trees. The more trees the better as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you for all the information, Ridge. It's good that you have posted otherwise we'd never get to hear of these things.


Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

Offline

#335 18.Jul.18 19:42:38

Tony
Member

Re: Round and about.

Thanks for the updates Ridge always welcome smile


War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Offline

#336 18.Jul.18 21:14:26

Erin
Member

Re: Round and about.

I do think that some of the trees which were planted some 30+ years ago were the wrong species for residential streets and the maintenance of them has been nil.  sad

Last edited by Erin (18.Jul.18 21:15:12)

Offline

#337 18.Jul.18 22:27:40

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

I get into a lot of trouble doing this you know, eventually i will expand each item and fill in the details and what happens next, build up the excitement first then reveal what they decide to do, i cant reveal any names  other than  place names like Royton, park, street or centre but the idea is to share the information, pass it round and  come up with " thats interesting" or " i did not know that"  " how did you discover this" & Wow thats good to know" Tony has the right idea lets build on that, item 6 for instance:

Did you know all that thump thump thumping was the pile driver in operation as the housing site had a mill lodge on it, it stopped last week by the way, if you visit the site its transformed as the foundations of the dwelling are already in place with a new entry road off Thorp Road opposite  the cricket ground where the kids play area is, theres no green space left its wall to wall development and far better than Byron Street if you want to buy one, who gets to live there is a question as people do buy off plan, its a mixed development i think to rent or buy/shared equity scheme but needs confirming, i was surprised how big it is for 20 houses or whatever the number is.  one lady told me it had its own race track and everything and a grandstand.

Offline

#338 20.Jul.18 09:40:01

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

As i gather more information as not all is readily available i will be slipping into this John Wilkes style of comment loved by Chronical readers and that of its one time editor who reported on council meetings, it may not be helpful to those involved but it was satire and always made me laugh, not everything is serious business so i dont take it as that, makes lighter reading when topics split opinnions and sides are taken, no one should shy away from their own views and not everyone can know all the facts and remember everything from memory, it needs examination and some research and that will be done.

If anything is of an individual case let it remain so, if it involves the community it will be discussed openly, i only say that as so much is now restricted, others may be unable to speak in response while we have rules to abide with, other than that we are free, however " this is non of your business"  cannot be allowed or we just leave the room and part company, nothing more to be said, this happens so be prepared for it, its normal behaviour and protectionist- they dont want you to know.

Offline

#339 22.Jul.18 09:20:38

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

On an aside to these issues, i used to have a pamphlet with all the contact telephone numbers of the council departments and things like the pothole mole, street scene, parks, highways and winter salt bins,  and the usual, police, taxi services, hospital, utillity companies, but out of all these Environmental Services was the main one, but could i find it when i wanted it- no, i cant remember ever receiving a new one either so using the Oldham web site is more common, you then discover the person who last dealt with these isues was out of the office, unavailable or left his job, on occasions i just write to the director, CEO and expect them to pass it to the right person to deal with it, i would never  contact a cabinet member or a councillor or attend their surgery if it was urgent, like a water leak, gas escape or a sump hole appearing in the road.

You may be aware the 101 non emergency call number is vastly over used with as many as 5,000 calls per day being received and is under review, the 999 number for emergencies where lives are at risk is also being used for minor cases so that also is placing pressure on the service,  where then can this latest edition of this pamphlet  be obtained, not the library who display our neighbourhood police team and our ward councillors only.  we have already discussed the problems of making personal visits to the departments concerned as access is now restricted.

Take the simple case of reporting a street light not working, a tree overhanging the pavement or road, a blocked drainage grid in the road or a request for road sweeping or a case of fly tipping, how many would not even bother to try, we know their are many others concerning traffic and speeding and the ever remaining parking issues that see's no end.  This brings me to the situation where clearing blocked drains or sweeping the roads cannot be carried out by the amount of street parking that exists,  effecting so many other services even bus services and bin collections.

Offline

#340 22.Jul.18 10:49:54

Tabbycat
Member

Re: Round and about.

It's interesting that you say the 101 number is overused, Ridge. Isn't this the number for reporting non emergency crimes? I thought the police wanted us to report crimes.
Unless some people are using it to report a broken finger nail and similar? In which case there will  always be stupid people. I don't know what the answer to that is.


Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

Offline

#341 22.Jul.18 11:11:08

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

Back after Marr now, questions from the meeting on these issues were raised, and in certain cases they can be attended too outside the planned arrangements for that street, very few know whats these dates are, what we are seeing is many extra visits are being frustrated by parking along the street curbs, and over the grids, they dont have the access to do the work, the appearance of a grid does not indicate a blockage in some cases, with leaf litter its easy enough, i attend to these as often as it takes but i cant vacuum the chamber below, on Springfield Lane with the junction with Rochdale Road at the Pleasant PH the double yellow lines make no difference to parking habits, its always obstructed at the entrance and your blind to traffic on the exit when i use it, we may point to lack of enforcement for this but its down to the drivers, i see this on the 20MPH zones on estates and on mini roundabouts that are totally ignored, so these spot tasks are a wasted journey, its a theme i often make when the council allow resident parking schemes on narrow streets that cause these problems- where can my visitors park, i'm expecting a delivery, the fire engine cant get through, its all been said before.   Yet, what other answer can be given, it has to be accepted, you never see these obstructions at the time you just see the problem, its like knitting fog- it comes and goes, or they came and went when we were out and they never left a note its been done or they will come back tomorrow to try and fix it if they can, all depends on the parking when we arrive, wasting a scarce resource of men and machinary.

Offline

#342 22.Jul.18 11:29:59

Tony
Member

Re: Round and about.

Perhaps I've just not noticed before but is that a new sign on the old health centre site advertising it as Oldham Council land available for various uses?
Re the parking on yellow lines near Springfield Lane a warden does come around on occasion using a moped one vehicle was ticketed a couple of weeks back, street parking has no solution as older properties were built with no driveways and spare land that could create parking areas is built on sad

Last edited by Tony (22.Jul.18 11:36:49)


War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Offline

#343 22.Jul.18 16:47:26

Woody
Member

Re: Round and about.

Tony wrote:

Perhaps I've just not noticed before but is that a new sign on the old health centre site advertising it as Oldham Council land available for various uses?
Re the parking on yellow lines near Springfield Lane a warden does come around on occasion using a moped one vehicle was ticketed a couple of weeks back, street parking has no solution as older properties were built with no driveways and spare land that could create parking areas is built on sad


The other problem at Springfield Lane junction at Rochdale Road is the Yellow lines do not go far enough back from the junction to be effective the view is restricted by parked cars outside the houses,

Pulling out into Rochdale Road heading for Royton your life in there hands The speed of traffic coming from Rochdale can be excessive they are on you before you know it,
 
It needs addressing contacting OMBC you would be better through a Medium,

The notice they take someone will have to be hurt or hit with boy racer before anything gets done ask SG he has commented at the speed they go down Rochdale Road

Add to this the speed of some drivers they come through Dogford Road light it seem to be an invitation to get up Summit in record time,

Or could they have a date with Allah ?

As most drivers late night seem to be of ethnic origin,


I would if I could but I can't,

Offline

#344 23.Jul.18 08:40:22

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

It was said last monday that the traffic wardens no longer visit the town centre, that came from a member of the public with a question, it wasnt denied, as for the yellow lines on the Lane and those on the entrance to Tandle Hill Road which both were introduced at the same time, they conform to the standards set,  i recall the time when Crompton & Shaw had many similar situations as Highways in that district was high on their agenda and their officers and engineers attended the meetings bringing their ledgers full of future works and rules they had to work too, whatever the committee or the public thought as a solution the proffessionals had the final say, it had been stated it was not the job of councillors to come up with their own ideas when we were paying for officers to do this full time, i could mention the conditions on Broadway caused by the Academy pupils using the crossing point at St Annes, this was put in after the school was opened by Highways, it was forecast during the planning stage but left to them to find a safe solution, for months after the opening the Headmistress acted as a school crossing lollypop lady, the numbers of pupils now tops 1,200 and it remains a big concern, if you witness the walk home past the hospital in the afternoon its eye opening and its the same at many schools now, my days activities avoid such times wherever possible,  in effect they are fire fighting to contain the issues, its never going to be perfect.

Offline

#345 23.Jul.18 17:11:53

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

A trip up Salmon Fields Road today, large signs have appeared 'Land for Sale' so all that clearance work last winter was done by OMBC contracters, for a speculative development, no doubt it will find a buyer and the next thing we will see will be convoys of wagons and machinary moving in, has anyone been told what the plan is and whats it for, more business use or is it warehousing, does it have any other uses that could create employment, i'm surprised its never been disclosed.

I went to Manchester today, now thats a changing landscape since i last went,  even less is known whats been built or whats on the way up, cranes still loom over the city, today was for the Busybees to take to the streets, like the books and the elephants before them, all individually painted and will be sold for charity later, whoever makes them has cornered the market, like the concrete cows of Milton Keynes, its drawing much attention, made from fibre glass or a resin suitable for indoors or out, are these the modern versions of garden gnomes decorated by school children, 200 of them are sited all over the city, i looked at 6 and think its a bit of fun though i would not want a used one covered in graffiti and scratches, one clever artwork i'v found in Piccadilly Gardens apart from the huge bronze figures is a metel tree, its about 25 feet tall and its branches are flat approx 5 inches apart above one another, its for the millions of pigeons to roost in rather than roof tops or window cills, we need one for Market Square in Royton.

Offline

#346 23.Jul.18 17:46:51

Tabbycat
Member

Re: Round and about.

I must go and see the bees, Ridge. The metal tree sounds like a great idea for the pigeons smile


Once you've read a dictionary everything else is just a remix

Offline

#347 23.Jul.18 21:04:37

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

I dont know how its kept clean tabby but it was, i went through the gardens to see the grass after it had been replaced when the new turf turned brown, everyone was playing on it even if all the joints were showing, they must be watering it to keep it green, the fountains were popular with the little kids. On Market Street the entire frontage of BHS was taken out with only one concrete piller supporting the roof, its all being rebuilt inside so i expect each floor will be seperate in the future, i  was only there for an hour, i was lucky to find a parking space at Derker, one tram came along all painted in a new colour scheme for advertising use, first one i've seen, the others may follow like the taxis.

Offline

#348 27.Jul.18 13:47:33

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

On 19th of June i spoke of the baths stonework being overgrown , thistles and other weeds # 316, its the same today but now they have gone to seed so will be there for evermore, this is our public realm- what a disgrace for our public space that had a fortune spent on it and is once again is going to be altered in the town hall alterations, the fact our district co-ordinater is based  within 25 yards of it shows how blind they are to the towns condition- it isnt in there job description,  they never notice as they dont look as there too busy,

Offline

#349 01.Aug.18 10:57:01

ridge walker
Member

Re: Round and about.

Dog and Partridge site on Middleton Road, activety going on with an excaveter on site, all the rubbish removed, a tractor and heavy trailer attending, caravan moved aside and trenches being dug- possibly for foundation work, interesting at least, but for the conversion into flats on such a bad corner with the Lane thats completely blind for traffic and totally unsuitable for HGV's and large vehicles to the point of obsurdity.

Offline

#350 01.Aug.18 13:22:14

Erin
Member

Re: Round and about.

I saw the activity at the Dog and Partridge this morning Ridge, we shall have to wait to see what happens next.   Also when we were on our way home coming down past St.Mathews church at Cragg Lane there was a road sign which looked like a road closure  notice, we were past it before I could read it, surely there isn't another one there.  Have you seen it Ridge?

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB 1.5.9

[ Generated in 0.107 seconds, 10 queries executed - Memory usage: 1.5 MiB (Peak: 1.79 MiB) ]